Photoshop has started crashing on printing.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I last used Photoshop I have had an update of both Photoshop and Windows 10. Now, whenever I try to print from Photoshop by <Ctrl><P>, Photoshop thinks for about 5 seconds and then silently crashes. The Windows Event Viewer has the message:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 22.3.1.122, time stamp: 0x606cb567
   Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.928, time stamp: 0x9bed63d6
   Exception code: 0xc0000374
   Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff0b9
   Faulting process ID: 0x593c
   Faulting application start time: 0x01d73981b949eef2
   Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Photoshop.exe
   Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
   Report ID: a06ce405-d2d8-4bb5-baeb-4bebbe48c694
   Faulting package full name:
   Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have two printers on my network and I don't get as far as the Print Setup screen which lets me choose a printer etc. Both printers work normally with other software.

How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

My apologies. A reset of Preferences fixed the problem. I was quite sure that one of the updates was the cause  but it seems not.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Preference resetting - resets more than just the user options in the Preference menu. It also resets the internal settings that are saved every time Photoshop is closed and, if they become corrupt, can cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

Dave

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. A reset of Preferences fixed the problem. I was quite sure that one of the updates was the cause  but it seems not.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find any reference to Printing in Preferences and I do 'OK', but it doesn't make any difference.  What am I missing.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preference resetting - resets more than just the user options in the Preference menu. It also resets the internal settings that are saved every time Photoshop is closed and, if they become corrupt, can cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue with the latest PS version 23.0.1

this issue reapears again and again over the years (see forum posts).

a preferences reset has fixed it in the past but this time it only fixes it for some time.

after a restart or two it´s crashing again.

maybe it´s time for adobe to have a closer look at their print dialog as other software companys have no issues at all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightbox

Have you fixed this issue... Ive got the same problem and I need a fix asap!

Thanks Tom

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to try a method that’s proved successful to rule out many an issue we see with Photoshop, you can reset preferences:

To reset the preferences in Photoshop: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem with every version of Photoshop for the last 10 years.

I have also reported it to Adobe multiple times but all they ever respond with is, "We haven't received your crash report!"

No crash reports are generated, the crash reporter does not appear - Photoshop usually just dissapears.

As soon as a different printer is selected - Photoshop crashes!

This problem has existed for years and there are multiple instances of users reporting similar printing problems to Adobe.

The ONLY solution that seems to work is by deleting the Photoshop prefs file BEFORE starting Photoshop - this will allow printinf from any printer. However if a different printer is selected in the same session, Photoshop immediately crashes again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset photoshop preferences / reset adobe apps

PRINT:

IF it’s a MAC, reset printing system:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners

Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

Reinstall the print driver, only from the manufacturer, not Apple.

You may like to re-install the printer drivers to check if that makes a difference?

Here is some general Adobe [Mac and Win] info on printing problems,

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-printing-problems.html

Simple reset: hold the space bar when you open the print window. It resets the print dialogs

if that doesn’t help -

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

Restore your preferences using the manual method: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

More:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Also take a look at the following article and check if that helps: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/printing-color-management-photoshop1.html

Preferences file location: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

On Mac, preference preservation is affected by maxOS permissions, you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

Its recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing any of your suggestions will fix the problem - only for one use however.

As soon as Photoshop is closed and then reopened the problem exists again.

I have tried all your suggestions over the years and as previously stated they work once.

I have had the same problem on many different versions of Photoshop, on every computer that I've owned.

I can happily print on my main inkjet printer for weeks without incident, but as soon as I select a different printer Photoshop will just crash immediately.

If I reopen Photoshop and want to print to the main printer then it will work fine, however selecting a different printer - same result every time - immediate crash with no crash reporter!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ve updated the printer driver?

Printer specific settings are stored in the file when you save after printing.

You have selected a new printer, so those settings are invalid and in some cases can cause a crash.

Maybe each time you print to a different printer, you'll have to reset Photoshop's print dialog.

To clear the saved print settings, hold the spacebar when clicking "print".

Print settings are stored as metadata in the file. If the printer has changed, or the settings are otherwise invalid or corrupt, PS can crash.

any good?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am aware that printer specific settings are stored with documents.

All my documents are sent to specific printers. i.e. I don't have any reason to send the same document to different printers.

I can happily print the majority of my documents (artwork) to inkjet without incident.

If I then open a document that's usually sent to laserjet and try to print then Photoshop will just crash/disappear without any error reporter dialog.

I can swap between printers without problem using Illustrator, it's only Photoshop that does not like a printer change within the same session.

The only thing that seems to work is deleting the Photoshop prefs file before printing to laserjet - however I have to do this every single time!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines