Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Photoshop has stopped displaying acquired images from flatbed scanner

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop to import images from a scanner through WIA Support for years.  This has suddenly stopped working.  The scanner goes through its normal scan process but no image appears in Photoshop - it doesn't seem to get stored anywhere either.  The scanner works using its own scanning software.  There is the same problem with my other scanner.  The problem therefore is in Photoshop.

The system is Windows 10 and PS is up to date (no more updates available). 

It had been running fine for a dozen or so scans yesterday with the A4 image displaying fine once the scan had completed: then is started to go wrong...  I had just cropped and saved part of an image, when the next scan only produced an image already cropped.  With subsequent scans the visible section of the A4 page got smaller and smaller in the image window in PS.  I suspect it may now be 0 x 0 pixels which maybe why nothing displays.  I don't even get a blank screen.  It goes straight back to the PS main page.  
Past images still load fine, I just can't create any new ones through WIA.  

Fixes tried so far:

Rebooted the system, started PS with ALT-CTRL-SHIFT to reset preferences several times.  The preview area is still the full flatbed of the scanner -  a 1200dpi scan took the 'usual forever' thereby proving the scan window is still A4+.   
In WIA suport the first panel has "Open Acquired Image(s) in Photoshop" ticked.

Does anyone have any bright ideas to resolve this please?

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

When you reset your preferences, did Photoshop ask to confirm? If not, you may not have successfully reset your prefs.

If not, you can go to Preferences/General and click the reset preferences upon quit button for an easier sure-fire method.

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you recently update your Photoshop version?

Have you checked for updates to the Windows Image Acquisition software?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/acquiring-images-cameras-scanners.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnh3944998 sorry to hear this.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cory

Thank you for your reply.  As requested here is the System Info.  As it is many pages of, what is to me is, gobbledegook, I've put it on my website as a PDF. https://www.stampauctions.co.uk/PSsysteminfo.pdf   I hope it makes sense to you.

It is the state of PS on my system after installing the latest PS updates.  The problem occured before these updates, which I did in the hope the would fix the problem - they didn't.  I had also updated the GPU drivers to the latest level but the problem remains.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thank you  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnh3944998 perhaps unrelated but your GeForce GT 730is well below minimum requirements for current Photoshop.

The minimum recommended speed is 2000 ops/sec - your card clocks in under 600.

You can try turning off the GPU settings in Preferences/Performance or Select Older GPU mode (pre-2016) from the Preferences > Technology Previews.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

If none of this helps connect to the scanner via Photoshop, perhaps try installing a previous build.

I do recall seeing a known issue with WIA and the current build, but it had to do with startup, not import.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin

Thank you.  Yes I updated PS later in the hope that was going to fix the problem - it didn't.  The whole system was working fine before (even if it was a bit back-level) until after doing a particular scan and editing the resulting image.  Somehow, during that editing process, I must have accidently set/unset some option in PS.  Every scan after that displayed an ever reducing portion of what should have been a full page image.  Trying a preview to reset the boundaries of the scan had no effect.  At least at that point I was still getting an image when the scan completed even if it was just a tiny fraction of the page.  It then got to the point where the scan result had probably reduced to 0 x 0 pixels.  Nothing has displayed since.  

Since it was working one minute and not the next, it has nothing directly to do with system update levels.  It seems more likely that the image processing had somehow locked into cropping to 0 x0 pixels leaving nothing to display. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

I had already tried disabling the GPU in preferences>performance but it made no difference.  I had also updated the GPU drivers (which had been back-level).  Again no change.  I'm also not using this new-fangled cloud thingy, everything is kept local as I have no need to share it.  Thank you again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reset your preferences, did Photoshop ask to confirm? If not, you may not have successfully reset your prefs.

If not, you can go to Preferences/General and click the reset preferences upon quit button for an easier sure-fire method.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Resetting using 'perferences>general>reset on quit' did the trick.  I've now got to set all my preferences to where they were but that's minor problem compared not having it working at all.  It's my first use of this forum and it's a great result.   Thank you so much for your help, and to Cory too.  Well pleased.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnh3944998 glad it all worked out - be sure to mark the post as a correct answer to help other users!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines