• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop, Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon. I'm going to buy a laptop to use Photoshop and Illustrator. What are the necessary laptop parameters for these programs? With a powerful processor, is the integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics card enough?

Anastasiya338354964ia8_0-1700848149226.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anastasiya338354964ia8 

Photoshop Recommended System Requirements

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

GPU FAQs

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Illustrator System Requirements

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html#ai-on-the-desktop

Be sure to pay attention to the GPU that needs Direct X 12 PLUS Feature Level 12. The feature level is required for current versions of Photoshop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

512 GB system drive is not enough. 1TB should be minimum, You'll need a lot of free disk space for the Photoshop scratch disk. Advanced raster image editing requires huge amounts of memory, much more than any RAM you may have installed. So temporary working data are written to disk. With many big files open, you may need 500 GB and up just for the scratch disk.

The official system requirements are very unrealistic here.

The problem is that all your applications will dump all kinds of junk in your user account on the system drive - in addition to anything you store on the disk yourself. This will accumulate over time, and while it may work now, it's a problem waiting to happen. You'll also be very dependent on external drives before long.

The Intel Iris GPU is marginal. It may work and it may not. But ironically, it may be better than a laptop with a more powerful GPU and an integrated GPU in addition. Dual GPUs is always a potential problem with laptops. It works for simple applications that just send data one way downstream, but Photoshop uses the GPU for actual data processing. There can only be one GPU in that equation. You can't send data to one GPU and get it back from the other.

All things considered, a laptop is not optimal for Photoshop. You'll need to look very carefully at the specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for a laptop that can run Photoshop and Illustrator smoothly, you should consider the following specifications: 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD NVME, and a GPU of at least RTX 3060 or RTX 3060Ti. These are the most affordable DDR4 configurations that I can think of to last for a few years (hopefully).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my unfortunate experience, no. My laptop with Itel Iris xe and 16Gb of RAM (Dell Inspiron 7506) bluescreens frequently with either PhotoShop, Premiere Pro, InDesign, Illustrator or even lowly Fresco open for more than 10 minutes of work. I've been badgering Adobe support and Intel and Dell support for a year without resolution. So if I was picking a new laptop today, I'd definitely be going for one with a dedicated graphics card by nVidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed - but the problem nowadays is that all laptops come with dual GPUs. That's almost a bigger problem than an underpowered integrated Intel GPU in itself. Dual GPUs is a blue screen waiting to happen, when running advanced applications like the CC apps.

I don't know who thought this was a great idea, but apparently it works in most of the consumer-grade apps that make up the bulk of what people use laptops for, so they're not getting too much complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines