• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is treating a jpg like a RAW file.

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago I processed some Canon RAW files using ACR in CS6.  A few days ago I went back to the cr2 files and re-prossessed them using DXO PureRaw3 and the latest Capture One.  I outputted the raw files as jpgs using Capture One recipes that I created and used for years. 

Here's where it gets weird.  When I look at the images in Bridge there's a couple that are far darker than they appeared in C1, and one looks like it's been through a bad high dynamic range processer.  Well messing up isn't exactly new.  But here's the thing, that jpg only looks funny in Bridge, and it's not all of them just a couple.  The bad ones look fine using Windows Explorer and when exported to my Samsung tablet. 

If I double click on that jpg it opens up Photoshop but takes the image to Adobe Camera RAW, not Photoshop, and once again this IS a jpg.

So what's going on?  I thought that Adobe ignored any RAW conversion information processed using another company's software's processing, and vice versa.  Is there something embedded in that .cr2 file from years ago that's travelling through DXO, Capture One, jpg conversion, and into Bridge?  If so how do I get rid of it?

I've attached the file so feel free to open it in your Bridge.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

@David Gr 

Try this: in Adobe Bridge, notice the icon in the upper right of your jpeg indicating it was once opened in Camera Raw. Then right click the thumbnail of your jpeg and choose Develop Settings > Clear Settings. It should now open in Photoshop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David Gr 

Try this: in Adobe Bridge, notice the icon in the upper right of your jpeg indicating it was once opened in Camera Raw. Then right click the thumbnail of your jpeg and choose Develop Settings > Clear Settings. It should now open in Photoshop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@David Gr The base behaviour is set under your Adobe Camera Raw preferences > File Handling:

acr-prefs.png

So as @jane-e notes, if there are Camera Raw Settings metadata in your files, and your prefs are set to open JPEG files with settings into ACR, then that is the result.

So you can change your ACR prefs, or remove the ACR settings from the file.

It is also possible to use a script in Photoshop or Bridge or other software such as ExifTool to remove the CRS metadata from one or multiple images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines