Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop keeps freezing & crashing after 22.4 update on Windows 10

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help!

I updated Photoshop to the latest version an hour ago. I have since had multiple crashes everytime I drag layers into a composition, or try to use the menu to resize etc it just freezes. Also, all my tabs as you can see on the right from the screen shot are greyed out. It was all working fine yesterday. I'm in the middle of a production too. Advice please!

Spec:

Predator Helious 300

NVIDIA Geforce RTX

Windows 10

PS Screen.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save them as Photoshop PDFs so that I can email them to people who do not have Photoshop and need them to be able to open the files easily. Unfortunately, this features means I will no longer upgrade my Photoshop as it was slowing me down tramendously. What is the reason behind this feature? I would love if the Save As functioned like it does in other programs, where you do not have to save it as a copy to save it as a PDF. The fact that you have to uncheck "Save as Copy" is already and extra step (this charged about 2 years ago and I could never figure out how to disable it), but this new Save as Copy feature is even more time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop files are pixel files. You can email Jpeg files.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg files strip the layers and other features that I want to leave intact so I can edit the file. Jpegs are also not able to be saved using "Save As" anymore either, so the extra steps are still an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CMD42187 , got a few ideas for you.

The change was due to a Mac issue that forced this workflow change, and it was duplicated on Windows for consistency. It's early, and we're still gathering feedback, so that may change.

For now, let me suggest a few ways to streamline your workflow.

1. presuming JPG is an acceptable format to distribute, which is openable by those you share with, you can use the Quick Export options. Go to File > Export > Export Preferences, and set up the export how you want it; .jpg, .png (Photoshop PDF is unfortunately not supported here, but I have another idea for that one; this would work best for .jpg). Then all you ever have to do is choose File > Export > Quick Export as JPG, and you'll get the JPEG prompt. Photoshop allows for keyboard shortcuts to be assigned to any command, so you can even set up a keyboard command.

2. If you are sending files around for feedback, there is a 'invite to edit' command that will conveniently upload your .psd and make it viewable on the web for those you share with to see and comment on the file. More info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/invite-to-edit-cloud-documents.html. Recipients just need a web browser, not Photoshop, to see the documents, and for this scenario, it eliminates all the file juggling and emailing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very much appreciate the ideas, but unfortunately I really have to stick with Photoshop PDFs- I have thounsands of files in this format and need the notes feature to stay intact as well as the layers. What I don't understand is that from what I've read, the formats that are available with Save As are formats that preserve your work, but Photoshop PDFs do preseve your work, as they keep all the layers, notes etc....at least for my purposes PSDs and Photoshop PDFs are exactly the same.

A few years ago the "Save As Copy" box was added to the save window and I had to start unchecking it each time in order to just Save the document rather than Saving it as a Copy, this was annoying, and I was involved in a post back then discussing that feature, but I ultimately got used to the extra step. This new set up adds even more steps, so unfortunately, I'll be sticking to the older version unless this feature changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha; I created a feature request to add Photoshop PDF to the Save workflow; seems like booting you out to Save As would be disruptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very, very much appreciated. I hope that can be added, that would be amazing! I agree with ObeyMyBrian that for other formats the automatic adding of copy to the end would be annoying for the other formats, so that would be another good thing to update as well, but for my purposes the Photoshop PDF being added to Save As would be excellent! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just having to manually remove the word "copy" every time is the annoying thing for me. I could get used to clicking on a different menu item but not that added word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with that, although I also found that it stripped the location of the original file. I am often opening and file making changes and then saving it as a different name in the same folder- I was to click "Save as Copy" navigate to the folder I wanted to save it in (even though the file I was editing was already saved in the folder I wanted the new file saved in), select PDF from the drop down menu (even though the file I was working from was already a PDF), then rename it (often just chaning the date at the end of the file name) and removing "copy". Entirely too many steps for a simple "Save As"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines