• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop on Asus ProArt 16 (2022 model)

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused.
I own an Asus ProArt Studiobook laptop. Specs are well above average: 64GB RAM, 3070Ti GPU, 12th Gen i9 processor... But, my experience with running Photoshop on this device is worse than when I do exactly the same tasks on my 5-year-old Lenovo with a 2060 GPU and i7 processor. It's been almost half a year, and I still haven't managed to run Photoshop anything near the level I expect it to run on this device, given the specs. I wonder if there is any single person with an Asus ProArt laptop that can confirm enjoying a smooth Photoshop experience? I am starting to think, maybe the combination of integrated i9 GPU (that CANNOT BE DISABLED in the device manager) and GPU is something that Photoshop doesn't get. It often feels that Photoshop is not even using GPU (although it is enabled in Preferences) and in the end, I get a pretty similar Photoshopping experience as on my Surface Microsoft Surface, i7 model with integrated Intel GPU. In a .psd file that weighs under 10 MB, even switching layers on and off, takes an extra second or two. Not even mention using selection tools which may take 10+ seconds to respond). I find this experience pathetic.

- My ASUS is running on Windows 11;
- PremirePro and Illustrator work all right; I don't have any major complaints;

- Blender (3D software) runs like a charm;

- I always run the latest Photoshop version.image.pngimage.png

What am I missing?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am starting to think, maybe the combination of integrated i9 GPU (that CANNOT BE DISABLED in the device manager) and GPU is something that Photoshop doesn't get.

What am I missing?

By @Ervins G.

You're not missing anything. Dual GPUs is a well known and well published problem with laptops.

There has to be some way to disable it. See section 6 and 7 here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I got multiple affirmations from various sources, that on this particular device, BIOS is 'locked' and doesn't allow running this PC without iGPU. If I 'disable' it in Device Manager, it is still running. Strangely enough, the PS brutally ignores my Nvidia settings and even when iGPU is 'disabled' (which it isn't), ignores dedicated GPU and throws 'old driver' errors at me, which cannot be right. Here are a few more screenshots:
1.  iGPU "disabled"
image.png
2. Photoshop tells me this:

ErvinsG_0-1682399979332.png

And that is not true... iGPU is somehow brutally 'baked in' by ASUS. I cannot access iGPU settings even when I enter the BIOS. If I knew that this ProArt 16 laptop is so 'locked' and doesn't allow me to adjust settings, I'd never buy it... But here I am.
3. And yes, I have adjusted my Nvidia settings, too (referring to the article):

ErvinsG_1-1682400262753.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to manage through System > Display > Graphics > Photoshop > Options > Select an option?

graphics option.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I just checked and turns out that I actually haven't done that. I just 'threw' all Adobe programs there and set 'high performance'. Just in case. Yet, it doesn't feel doing any better. Both with iGPU disabled and re-enabled. When iGPU is disabled, Photoshop warns me about 'outdated' drivers (which cannot be true) and disables OpenGL.

ErvinsG_0-1682401236890.png

When iGPU is back enabled, no errors, yet I don't feel any difference in performance (I'm testing on a ~70 MB .psd file, no filters applied, just images and masks; it is still slow).
I haven't restarted my PC, however. Maybe I should. To 'help' Windows with enforcing newly applied settings.

ErvinsG_1-1682401282739.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, well! I did restart my PC, after setting the graphic preference to 'High performance'. And... either this is some sort of 'placebo' or... the PS experience is really better! Switching layers 'on and 'off' happens instantly! Also changing opacity is way more responsive than it was earlier today. I will throw something more serious at it once under a heavier load, but... this actually might be it! Will keep you posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2024 Sep 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ervins G. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2024 Sep 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Somehow I have.
In older versions of PS (I cannot find my notes, but I think it was v 24.6) disabling the "native canvas" in the PS settings worked for me. After disabling it, the PC actually worked fine.

Recently the problem came back. The PS became super slow on my laptop. I messaged the Adobe support again. It turned out that from the version (24.6, if I am not mistaken) the 'Native Canvas' thingy disappeared. One of the ridiculous suggestions was to roll back the version 🙂 and keep using the PS, which I did not. Another as I thought funny version was to switch from GeForce Studio to Gaming driver... and... it kind of worked! The most recent PS runs relatively well on my ProArt Laptop! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines