Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Opacity Change not showing Live

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 24.1.1 , Window10

If adjust the opacity of the layer in Photoshop, can't see the change in real time until I realease the mouse click.
I can check it by clicking unconditionally or releasing the mouse.

I tested several times to see if I could check the results in real time by moving the slider of the opacity slowly from 0 to 100, but this does not work.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there are multiple ways: are you clicking on the down facing arrow next to the numbers to get the slider, then you use that one? In 24.0.1 (I do not control this machine) the change is not immediate, but lags a bit.

You can also use the scrubby sliders (hover the word Opacity, or CTRL+Slide on the numbers) that way, I also get a lag, but it updates before mouse release.

You can also type the opacity you want to use, it might be faster, and it is immediate for me.

Again, I'll update this thread once this machine is updated to a newer version on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie I also use the space I want and need by pressing the keyboard directly. (20% = 2, 30%=3)
But even if it's the way I'm not using it, I thought I should report the bug because it's a bug, and I remember a long time ago that even if I moved the opacity slider slowly, I could immediately see it in real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I'm not questioning your findings, I concurred at the lack of real time, even on an older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't replicate that here on Photoshop version 24.1.1 using Windows 11 v22H2 and GPU RTX3090 driver 516.94.

There is a slight delay in the screen update when moving the layer opacity slider - but no mouse release is required.

Do you see any difference if you go to Preferences > Performance and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing or Preferences > Technology Previews and check De-Activate Native Canvas. Depending on teh age of your GPU you could also try checking Preferences >Technology Previews > Older GPU Mode (pre2016). You will need to restart Photoshop after making changes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie  Oh i misunderstood your saying. sorry!
I'll have to wait and see. We need to observe if there are the same symptoms in 24.2.

@davescm Hmm..... Is it just Windows 10?
I couldn't test Windows 11 because I didn't use it at home or at work.
However, both Windows 10-based NVIDIA and Radeon GPUs tried to check the opacity in real time, but they confirmed that it did not work as intended. I don't know. I'm sure it wasn't like this in the old version.
It's not the original way to use it, so I can't report for sure when this broke down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There seems to be a definite difference between using the Opacity slider in the Layers panel and the Opacity slider in the Blending Options dialog The Opacity slider in the Layers panel is not "real time" like the Opacity slider in the Blending options dialog is.

In some previous versions of photoshop, apparently the Layers panel Opacity slider worked in "real time" like the Opacity slider in the Blending Options dialog, but now it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines