Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Product Photo Help Please

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully help me out, I am new to photoshop and learning slowly but enjoying it.

I have a image that I purchased that I would like to overlay a design over and wrap the design around the product. Once I have the design around the product I find that it does not look realistic at all, I really wanted to make it look like I had the real shiny product in front of me.

Is there a way in photoshop to make the product look more real and shiny like the sun/shadows are reflecting of the product?..I hope that make sense. 

Seems good enough if just a text based design, but not so great with a full colour design.

I have added the product and a quick design (this is not a real design).

Hope someone can help.

TIA, KieronMJ-0070.jpgtestdesign.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Hi Kieron.  You are in luck, because there's a fairly new addition to the Free Transform > Warp options that will help you with this.

Starting with the name overlaid on the bowl.

image.png

I am going to make the text layer a Smart Object (always a good idea when using Free Transform, because you can edit the FT without losing the corner handle positions).   

Ctrl T to start Free Transform

Click on Warp in the Options Bar

Click on the Custom drop-down, and choose Cylinder

image.png

The outer handles adjust the h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once you have the image on a layer and the design you want on a layer on top of the image layer, try changing the layer mode for the design layer. The mode that works best will depend on the colors you're working with but you might try starting with Multiply.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kieron.  You are in luck, because there's a fairly new addition to the Free Transform > Warp options that will help you with this.

Starting with the name overlaid on the bowl.

image.png

I am going to make the text layer a Smart Object (always a good idea when using Free Transform, because you can edit the FT without losing the corner handle positions).   

Ctrl T to start Free Transform

Click on Warp in the Options Bar

Click on the Custom drop-down, and choose Cylinder

image.png

The outer handles adjust the height and width.

The top and bottom central handles adjust the curve

The middle handle adjusts the foreshortening toward the outer edges.

Remember this is a smart Object, so you can go back into Free Transform to adjust how it looks.

image.png

In this instance, the bowl has a limited depth of field, with the outside of the bowl showing a out of focus.

So I used Gaussian Blur to make the text similarly out of focus > Filled the mask with black to 'hide all'

And used Classic gradient White to Transparent to reveal the blur on each end of the text.

A tiny Bevel and Emboss helped make the text look painted on the bowl.

Tip: If you use a Bevel & Emboss with a value of zero (as in this case) check Contour, and se the Range to around 70% (or what fits your situation.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your detailed reply and pictures, I really do appreciate your help and guidance.

I find the text based designs easier to manage and get the re-life look that I was looking for but it was more of a full wrap around coloured design that I was having issues with blending via Multiply to get a good result, they kind of look more computerized and you can not really see the reflections and light on the product.

Is there a way to enhance the reflections or make it all look more shiny like I had taken a picture of the design on an actualy real product instead of actually having to take a picture of a real printed product?

Thanks again for your help! 

Kieron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To make things look shiny, add a highlight with full white. Set it to Screen, and reduce opactiy

image.png

A reflection is going to be difficult in this case, because the curveture is progressive.  You would use Free Transform > Warp > Arch, but the curve is progressive so you would not get a good match.

This is a total mess as I was working with the screen shots so it was a huge compromise, but what I did was copy the original bowl to a layer above the reflection, and nudge the reflection underneath it to hide the mismatched curve.  You'd reduce opacity of the reflection, and give it a tiny touch of perspective.  But this is not an easy example to start with.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines