• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Proof Colors: sRGB vs Monitor

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I work on an sRGB image in Photoshop and correctly tag and save it as sRGB, when that image is opened in a web browser should it look the same as in Photoshop's "Proof Colors: sRGB"?

In my setup, In Photoshop, shadows are lighter when proffed in sRGB, darker in Monitor_11_20_2021.icc. Images are also dark in Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge.

Photoshop's display only matches the browser display when Proof Colors is set to Monitor. But I read that proof colors is for printing and when Monitor is selected it turns off color management?

Here's what I'm struggling with conceptually:

Photosho's working space is set to sRGB.
The image is correctly tagged and saved as sRGB.
The file numbers that define colors are set by the profile.
The CMS converts the definition of the colors from Photoshop's sRGB via the monitor profile so they display the same on the monitor.

Then why doesn't the monitor profile make Photoshop's sRGB proof the same as what an sRGB-supported application (like a web browser) displays?

Here's my setup:

Calibrate Monitor with Pantone/Gretagmacbeth i1 hardware calibrator
Using Eye-One Match 3 v3.6.2 software.
Run calibration routine and a color space profile called Monitor_11_20_2021.icc is created.

Windows is set to the Monitor_11_20_2021.icc profile as default and Photoshop to sRGB IEC61966.21 as the working space.

I am embedding the sRGB IEC61966.21 profile in the image when it is saved.

Photoshop 23.0.1
Color settings working space: sRGB IEC61966.21

Windows 10 20H2 build 19042.1348
Dell U2713HM Monitor
Windows > System > Settings > Display : Monitor_11_20_2021.icc
Windows > Color Management : Device: 1. Generic PnP Monitor - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Use my settings for this decive - Checked on
Profiles associated with this device: Monitor_11_20_2021.icc (default)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Then it's as simple as Andrew says.

You're comparing color managed to not color managed. Yes, of course there's a difference, that's the whole point.

Proof to Monitor RGB turns off display color management (wrong). Exit Proof, and normal color management resumes (right). That's all there is to it.

The color management engine in Photoshop can't be turned off. But by inserting the monitor profile in the chain, you get the "null transform" I described further up, effectively disabling and canceling out the normal color management chain.

Without color management, the RGB numbers in the file are just passed directly to screen, and the result depends on the inaccuracies and idiosyncrasies of the monitor. It may be described as an "sRGB monitor", but that doesn't mean it actually matches sRGB. No monitor does. There are many differences, both in the primaries and the tone response curve.

With color management, the numbers in the file are remapped from the document color space (whatever that is) into the monitor color space, as described by your monitor profile. As a result, the file is correctly represented on screen. The monitor characteristics have been taken out of the equation.

For this to work, the monitor profile has to be an accurate description of the monitor's actual and current response. The profile is a map, and it has to correspond to the actual terrain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jerryl63992203 wrote:

The question I'm asking is if everything is set to sRGB,  should the two look the same?

This is really simple: IF you view sRGB or ANY RGB color space tagged image, on your system, they will match. 

Again, without color management, sRGB has no meaning. It is if I wrote or spoke to you in a language you do not understand. 

If the data is in ProPhoto RGB, and it is tagged, it will preview the same and correctly on your system, in any color managed application. Or sRGB, or Adobe RGB (1998) etc. 

IF you go out of your way to turn off color management in Photoshop by proofing to the Monitor, there is a mismatch and you're viewing this data incorrectly. If another application matches this, it too is incorrect (not color managed). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really simple: IF you view sRGB or ANY RGB color space tagged image, on your system, they will match. 

Andrew, I apolgize for my poorly worded questions. That is my fault.

I understand what should be happening in theory, I'm just not seeing it happen in reality.

At this point, I don't know what else to do. 

I really do appreciate everyone trying to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I have everything set to sRGB, then "no preview" and "monitor preview" should be the same, right?

PS is in sRGB. The embedded tag is sRGB. Windows color management set to generic sRGB in 3 different places. Monitor is set to sRGB."

Setting the monitor to sRGB does not mean it matches sRGB exactly as D.Fosse pointed out. 

If you want colour management to work then you need an accurate display profile. 

Setting Photoshop to proof/monitor just turns off colour management so that’s not a worthwhile test.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you want color management to work then you need an accurate display profile."

When I compare a preview between the EyeOne profile and a generic sRGB profile, the results are fairly close. 

I was advised to investigate the possibility that my EyeOne calibrator was old. I bought a new SypderX Pro and created a new profile (several times actually). That didn't work either.

As I'm sure it is obvious to everyone here, this is going to end up being operator error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the devices you mentioned have their own peculiarities - the i1 from GretagMagbeth is a good, but rather old spectrophotometer, it has poor sensitivity in shadows. It was good on older CRT displays, but on modern monitors can be issues in shadows. Modern software such as DisplayCAL (free software) allows you to take these features into account (there is both compensation for drift in the shadows due to repeated measurement of black patches, and a whole block of settings for black color correction).

The SpyderX is a colorimeter with good sensitivity, but it cannot directly measure the color. The principle of operation of the colorimeter is closer to the camera matrix - it measures the amount of light that has passed through the light filters. At the same time, he does not know anything about the spectral characteristics of the light source itself. That is why at the beginning the software prompts you to choose a monitor model (in order to use the spectrum of its backlight as a base for measurements). The slightest deviations of the reference values ​​from the actual state of the backlight lead to an incorrect color assessment and, as a result, to an incorrect profile.

You can download DisplayCAL and try to build a SpyderX correction table for your specific monitor (first patches are measured with i1, then the same colors are measured with SpyderX) - this will solve both problems. You will be able to use SpyderX to build a profile and still have accurate measurements.

2021-11-26_18-24-43.png

Also I would like to ask you again - upload the monitor profile file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to upload the monitor profiles, from both the EyeOne and the SpyderX, but the forum would not let me post that file type.   I'm sorry if there is a way to do that.

However, I did post a dropbox link to the two files. Here they are again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvvsg919dbza2zb/Monitor_11-20-2021_2.icc?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk87d8iyus1w7s7/SpiderXpro%2020211124b.icm?dl=0

I will take a look at the DisplayCAL software, But I fear it may be over my head.

I don't understand measuring it first with the i1, and then the SpyderX.  Does DisplyCal take the place of the EyeOne and SpyderX calibration software completely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to upload outside the forums using something like Dropbox.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, DisplyCal take the place of those products with instruments it supports. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After viewing the profiles, I noticed that your device is not an i1 but a eye-one display, that is, it is also a colorimeter. But if you are satisfied with the result of his work, you should not focus on this. SpyderX built almost the same profile as the eye-one display, but with a hue of about 10 degrees relative to the white point (that is, at the setup stage before profiling, the monitor type was specified incorrectly, or it is correct, but the reference data does not correspond to the actual state of the display). You may be able to resolve this issue if you select a different display type in the program settings.

Regarding viewing - it is obvious that you see it correctly in Photoshop. I see the same (by the key points in your description) and your screenshots. Here, apparently, the problem is in browsers:

2021-11-27_10-46-57.png

On the left is a browser without any CMS support, on the right is Opera. We can notice that a browser without CMS support shows the image a little differently (more saturated and contrasting) - this is just the native space of my monitor. But Opera (like any browser on the Chrome engine) shows something in between - no longer sRGB, but not yet the colors of my monitor.

We can also conduct the opposite experiment: convert the image to the color profile of my monitor (it is close to AdobeRGB, I have no doubt about its accuracy), then assign the resulting image to sRGB, simulating browser behavior.

2021-11-27_11-14-59.png

On the one hand, we get an image close in lightness to the original file, and on the other hand, we again see the difference in saturation (but in the opposite direction).

It looks like the browser CMS is using the monitor profile as its working color space. I suggest you do the following:

• open Edge, Chrome or Opera
  • in the address bar, enter chrome:flags
  • find the Force color profile setting, select sRGB there, restart the browser
  • open your image in Photoshop, convert its colors to the color space of the monitor (color profile) with the command edit-> convert to profile
  • Assign sRGB to this image, save a copy and open it in a browser.
  • Compare with the original sRGB file opened in Photoshop.

2021-11-27_11-58-19.png

The images should look the same: (I also measured the colors in the color checker - there are differences, but they are minimal).

2021-11-27_12-00-52.png

Since the work of CMS browsers is based on the color profile of the monitor (and we all perfectly understand that there are no two identical devices), then most likely you will not be able to achieve the same display of photos on different devices and in different browsers. Neither embedding profiles nor changing system settings will help. I would be glad to be wrong, but it looks like it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a felling this is getting a bit overcomplicated.

All web browsers today assign sRGB to any material that doesn't already have a profile. There is always a standard source profile, the monitor profile doesn't enter into it at this point.

The question is whether the standard color management chain operates; whether this is converted into the correct monitor profile for display. Again, all browsers do this as long as there is a source profile.

If this doesn't work, there are two usual reasons: One, the browser is on the secondary display but using the profile for the main display.

Two, there is a bug in the browser. Chrome in particular has been a bit buggy in this regard, as shown by a number of threads here. I use Firefox, which has always been very reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested all of this on a single monitor system. The monitor is used as a color proof device and how accurately it shows color in Photoshop is beyond any doubt. So I'm also leaning towards a bug in the CMS system of Сhrome-based browsers.

Firefox gives a more adequate result, but I still see differences in shades.

2021-11-27_13-16-31.png

2021-11-27_13-18-46.png

Would you mind taking the same screenshot on your system? (open the image in firefox and the same in Photoshop). I use this image during tests

monitor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said above that I sensed something right under my nose that I missed.

Now it's getting clearer. Everybody seems to assume that web browsers don't do full color management, at least not in the way that Photoshop does. They just "use sRGB", which in fact doesn't make any sense.

This is incorrect either way. All major web browsers today do this exactly as Photoshop. The underlying mechanism is exactly the same. A source profile is converted into a destination profile (monitor), and the result of that conversion sent to screen.

And the result is exactly the same - the browsers even have the equivalent of Photoshop's working space. If a profile is missing, a default profile kicks in. For the browsers, that's sRGB. Either way, it's converted into the monitor profile.

So whenever a web browser doesn't match Photoshop, something's wrong. That's buggy behavior by definition. That's color management failing.

Now, I'm not saying anything about the quality of browsers' CMS. You may not get a perfect numerical match in all situations everywhere. But they will be very, very close, and for all practical purposes identical.

Firefox1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to begin to understand what the matter is. Firefox correctly (perfectly correctly) displays files with an embedded profile (left picture). When there is no color space tag in the file, it displays it in much the same way as Chrome-based browsers (right picture).

It's just that your words made me doubt the correct color settings on my system. But now I understand for sure that the matter is exclusively in the browser.

2021-11-27_18-05-34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to begin to understand what the matter is. Firefox correctly (perfectly correctly) displays files with an embedded profile (left picture). When there is only a color space tag in the file, it displays it in much the same way as Chrome-based browsers (right picture). 

Is seems you are saying that embedding means attaching the entire profile, and tagging means only including the name of the profile.

Where is this difference specified in Photoshop when saving a file?

Isn't embedding the same as tagging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't embedding the same as tagging?

By @jerryl63992203

Sorry, I was in a hurry and wrote it wrong. Of course, we were talking about untagged files and embedding is the same as tagging. I'll correct the message now.

jazzy_1-1638039764570.png

jazz-y, did you set Firefox to mode 1?

In the mode 2 setting, images without an embedded profile are not color managed. All tagged material will always be correctly color managed regardless.

By @D Fosse

No, I used color_management.mode 1. Switch to 2 and now the untagged image looks the same as with the embedded profile. Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jazz-y, did you set Firefox to mode 1?

In the mode 2 setting, images without an embedded profile are not color managed. All tagged material will always be correctly color managed regardless.

NOTE: this thread now has so many nested sub-discussions that it's impossible to follow in a sensible way. Many posts are effectively answered in other sub-threads. I'd recommend anyone interested to switch the forum settings from "threaded" to "linear" - that way you at least get the posts in chronological order.

I still feel that this whole subject has been overcomplicated throughout the thread, and there are some solutions in search of problems. It really is quite simple, logical and consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about misidentifying the gretag unit. It is actually an "eye-one display 2" model. That was in tiny type on the back. But it says "i1" on the front.

The Spyder profile produces a display that is very green. You said " a hue of about 10 degrees relative to the white point." would this be in the green direction? I will check all the settings and try the Spyder again.

Yes, I am seeing it correctly in Photoshop.

Attached here is a PSD file with screenshot layers for comparisons between Photoshop and Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE and Edge.

Note that the forced sRGB flags were set in Chrome and Firefox, but not in Opera, IE or Edge. I've been using forced sRGB in Crome and Firefox all along. 

If you change the blend mode to difference, it's easy to see the differences.

Here is what I see: Firefox is the only one that matches Photoshop.

Some of the ones that don't match Photoshop are different from each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional data: All tests done with the monitor.jpg file posted by jazz-y that he asked for me (I presume) to test.

Note that the file posted by jazz-y was untagged, and all of the test comparisons were done with that untagged file as per jazz-y's request.

Firefox no forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.
Firefox with forced sRGB profile, does match Photoshop.

Chrome no forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.
Chrome with forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.

Opera no forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.
Opera with forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.

Internet Explorer no forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop
Internet Explorer with forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop

Edge no forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.
Edge with forced sRGB profile, does not match Photoshop.
No difference between each other in browser display.

So it seems that any of these browsers that claim to use sRGB for untagged images are not doing that.

I'm going to test with tagged sRBG and see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking about this... it doesn't make any sense to force the browsers to sRGB because no normal user is going to have done that. So for this test, I set all the browsers to their defaults and used an sRGB tagged file of the original monitor.jpg file posted by jazz-y.

I got pretty much the same results as with the untagged file... only Firefox matched.

Attached is a PSD with layers with the tests from each browser. (browser at default, sRGB tag applied to untagged original "monitor.jpg" file from jazz-y.

Here is a link from a Ben-Q page from 12/2020 with a chart of browser support:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/web-browsers-color-management.html

Browser      Embedded Profile Support      No Profile     Reference Monitor Profile?
IE                       Y                                        monitor              sRGB only
Edge                   Y                                        monitor              sRGB and AdobeRGB
Firefox               Y                                        sRGB                 sRGB and AdobeRGB
Chrome              Y                                        sRGB forced      sRGB only

With Chrome, there is a note that says if the image has no embedded profile, you have to force it in the browser settings to use sRGB.

In my tests, with the browsers set to their defaults, using a tagged sRGB image, only Firefox displayed the image correctly.

Tagging the untagged image with the monitor profile, and then converting to sRGB does not fix the mismatches between Photoshop and the browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That table is out of date and incorrect.

All browsers now assign sRGB to untagged material (no profile). There is no need to "force" anything and AFAIK it never has been. I have no idea where they have that from.

The only provision is that with Firefox, you have to set it to mode 1. In the default mode 2 setting, it does not color manage untagged material. All images with a profile are always color managed correctly.

IE is ancient history and no longer needs to be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another test comparing screenshots of Photoshop with no preview (proof colors not active), and with Photoshop proof colors set to monitor. 

The original untagged monitor.jpg file was saved with sRGB selected (Now, I don't know if that means embedded or tagged).

Chome - doesn't match either (proof colors not active, or proof colors set to monitor).
Firefox - matches PS with proof colors not active.
IE - macthes PS with proof colors set to monitor. 
Edge - doesn't match either.
Opera - doesn't match either.

Irfanview - matches PS with proof colors set to monitor. 

So Firefox is the only browser that matches PS with no preview on. 

IE and Irfanview match PS with Monitor preview on.

I see no reason to set Firefox to mode 1 as normal users are not going to do that.

My conclusion: currently, there is no solution to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another test, this time comparing tagged and untagged images in browsers.

Chrome - no difference, looks like monitor preview in PS.
Firefox - untagged looks like monitor, tagged looks like sRGB.
IE - both look like monitor.
Edge - both look like monitor.
Opera - both look like monitor.

I conclude that Firefox is the only browser that correctly displays an image saved in PS with a color-space tag.

"Belive none of what you hear, and half of what you see" is my new motto now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All browsers now assign sRGB to untagged material (no profile).

So all browsers should display tagged or untagged images the same, and they should look like the preview image in Photoshop with Proof Colors not turned on?

This is not what I'm seeing in my latest tests. Unless I seriously messed something up, which, of course, is entirely possible...

My tests show that only Firefox displays an sRGB image correctly and only when tagged. In this case, the Firefox display matches Photoshop with Proof Colors off. In every other case, the browser display matches Proof Colors > Monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines