• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop ram usage out of control

Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

un the last week photoshop has been acting up; no matter my preferences it uses too much ram, opening photoshop with no file uses 7 gb of ram, opening 1 160 mb file uses 9 and 2 160 mb files uses 12 gb of ram (my limit is set to 8).

the app crashes every 10/15 mins because of this, i updated ps, tried to uninstall and reinstall and even bought a new ssd and did a clean install of windows.  i need to use it for a project due in a week and cant, im screwed

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in these days i tried all the things mentioned but nothing changes, the app still uses too much ram (double what it used to on the same files) and the settings to limit ram usage dont work.

this leads to a really bad experience.

i also tried to install an older version of the app following adobe's guide but i have only thelast version available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the RAM usage go up only with the files that use Smart Objects? There is a ticket we are looking into but it has specific issues within their Smart Objects.

If you do not see this same RAM usage go up on files without Smart Objects that would be a good data point. 

If it is only with this Smart Object document > Then the question becomes may I have that sample file or something similar that displays this error? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont think thats the problem because even with nothing opened it uses 3/4 gb of ram, i can give you the file but i dont know how Screenshot (23).pngnote: the pc reads the full 16 gigs of ram

in this screenshot i closed all the files and waited 5 mins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

today i started working o my final exam project and all the problems came back, at first i opened a couple of pdf files int an a3 sheet, photoshop was using 12 gigs of ram. i sent the file to a friend, he opened it and it used just 1.4 gigs.

right now i just want to "downgrade" to an older version but as usual its not that easy: all the tutorials (even the adobe ones) dont work and im stuck with this useless version that keeps crashing every 10 mins.

i paid for 3 years of license and now im forced to download a cracked version. i really dont know what to do anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vascheddu, would it be possible to share the pdf file you seeing this with? Do you know. what version of Ps and platform your friend has that you sent it to? Any and all info you can share will help the team track down what might be happening.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too... From one day on, Photoshop uses RAM like crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i already sent all the system info and the file  is now corrupted and its one black layer....

i lost 3 days of work because of the problems of the last versions, when it happens again i'll send the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happened again, every 10 mins even with a new file and a freshly installed version, i have to do a lot of work and i really cant be held back by the program rn. i'll put a link with the file but files are not the problem because with every file it crashes.

it seems like a graphic problem.Screenshot (33).pngdrive link here 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the sample file, 

Does all your work have Smart Objects with PDF as their Smart Object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes all my work in the last 2 months has 3/4 pdf at the start, are those teh problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why all of a sudden my Photoshop is completely unusable. It loads when I open the program but I can't open any files. It freezes up and when I check my RAM - it's using all of it. I have 8GB and a high performance video card. I dont see why basic functions of Photoshop aren't working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB of RAM isn't really enough for Photoshop 2022 – you need at least 16GB.

Also try unticking Use Graphics processor found under the Performance tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fix this problem at my end by deleting the entire adobe folder in Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe
Photoshop was consuming 5 gigs of ram at startup of the program without any files and after the deletion it takes only 1gig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also encountered this problem. Deleting all custom shapes helped me, 20% of RAM was freed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines