Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop suddenly shutdowns PC turns off while using Preserve Details 2.0

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try to resize the image and apply Preserve Details 2.0 function it suddenly turns off the whole PC with Photoshop

Please see the video here: https://youtu.be/49rH_3faj1k

Please help to solve it asap !!

Thanks in advance,

Maks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Hi

The only time I've seen something similar to this is when the i7 7820 processors were having issues with Turbo Boost. It wasn't a Photoshop issue as such , but the PCs crashed when Photoshop pushed the processing. They were resolved with BIOS updates on the motherboard.

I am not saying that is the issue in your case - but it may be worth running Photoshop in Windows Safe Mode and see if there is a crash. If no crash in safe mode, the look at the drivers. You say you have updated the GPU drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Windows, an application cannot shut down the operating system or the PC. A driver can and the prime suspect is usually the video driver - the earlier post referred to a specific BIOS issue in a group of boards.

I run Photoshop day in day out without a crash, currently on a system running Windows v20H2, NVidia RTX2080ti Studio driver 461.40, 128GB RAM, i9-10920x, 1TB free scrtach disk space on M2 drive.  I also have an older system with Windows 20H2, NVidia GTX1080 Studio driver 461.40, 64GB RAM, i7-3930K processor.    Sky removal does not cause a freeze, crash or shut-down on either system here. Hence I would look at yoursystem's drivers first.

If an Adobe developer, or anyone else here, is to replicate your issue they need both exact system details  "a Hyper pumped up 3d animation PC" is absolutely meaningless, along with the exact steps you took to trigger the issue on your system (e.g. image size, layer size and type, colour mode ....etc)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really appriciate that response and fast thank you!
The projects image size, resolution, or colour mode doesn't affect the crash, it happens every time on any image or project, if i try to use a majority of the new features its an instant pc shut off. with sky removal being the guarenteed one. can on the odd occasion just do it on a project save aswell.

specs

Windows 10 V20H2
Z97MX
i7-4790K 4.0GHZ 4cores
32gb RAM
1TB pcie SSD 
4TB HDD 
2x 1TB SSD
GeForce RTX 2060

NVIDIA Studio Driver 461.72

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do the following :

1. Check your Windows power saving functions, especially important on a laptop where they tend to throttle everything back to save battery life and compensate for inadequate cooling, but also on a desktop

2. Re-install the video driver and choose "Advanced Options" - "Clean install". This will remove any remnants of the old driver.

3. Make sure you are using Photoshop 22.2

4. Reset Photoshop Preferences (save any presets first)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had the same issue. but it has been fixed now. I can use the new features as well. Thanks for the information provided here.

Thanks

Yash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as i see i just upgraded to i7-4790K (from i5-4670K) and when i am trying to save a photo it does the RESTART thing. i tried to disable the turbo boost but nothing. did you find out why is this happening? 
i assume that something is going on with the i7-4790K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Blue screen error message are you getting when your computer restarts?

Have you checked the reliability monitor (type reliability into the Windows search bar) for an error at the time of your crash?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your answer.
first of all i am not getting any error. just when i press "Save" my pc shuts down and turns on again. no errors no blue screen.
As for the reliability i dont believe this is the problem. I have recently made some changes in my pc. 

• upgraded my cpu from i5-4670K to i7-4970K. (previous with the i5 i didnt have any problem)
  • new m2 ssd

As i saw at this thread 2 of the guys that had a similar issue had the same CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reliability monitor should point to what  crashed and caused the shutdown. It can help in locating the issue.

I would also run HW Monitor to check temperatures under load. If you changed the CPU and did not get the heat paste on effectively I.e. a pea size spot that becomes a thin even coat after the CPU is pressed down, the CPU could be shutting down due to overheating. Another test is Memtest86 to check your RAM which may have been disturbed when you installed the CPU.

In short - run the diagnostic tools to find the issue then resolve it, rather than poking around in the dark.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been playing games and using other applications that do stress the cpu and ram. that would shut the pc down. not the "Save" button. i believe its relevant with the othes that had the same CPU, because the previous CPU didnt have any problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a new CPU on the same motherboard, or the motherboard is an older generation model than the CPU, you most likely need a BIOS update.

Other than that, the most common reason for BSODs or restarts is a GPU driver problem. This can often be triggered by Photoshop, because it calls on very advanced functions in the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did format. so i believe i have the latest bios and gpu drivers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Formatting is irrelevant. The BIOS is motherboard firmware, it's not on disk. You get an updated BIOS file from the motherboard manufacturer

Similarly, you go to the GPU manufacturer (Nvidia/AMD) for the newest driver. For Nvidia, make sure you install the Studio driver, not the Game Ready driver. Choose custom install and check "clean install" to remove all traces of the old driver. Don't install the extra components in the driver package (GeForce Experience/PhysX), they can sometimes get in the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do have the latest BIOS version. as for the GPU drivers, all those years (even before 1 month) i have been using the Game Ready driver and no problem. I believe its not irrrelevant that 2 guys from this thread that had the same issue, they were using i7-5790K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you seem to have made up your mind already about what is relevant and what is not.

Just be clear on one thing: an application such as Photoshop cannot cause restarts or BSODs. It's not possible. There are insulating layers in the OS architecture to prevent that. An application can crash or freeze, but not take down the whole system.

A low level driver can, however.

So whatever this is, Photoshop may trigger it, e.g. by calling advanced functions in the GPU, but it cannot be the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. now i downloaded the latest Studio driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not willing to take the diagnostic steps advised in this thread, then there is little we can do to help you.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, 
the monitor is being used to more stressful applications (and for longer hour) than just opening the photoshop, changing the contrast of a photo and then saving it. also the thermal paste has been correctly applied on the cpu and the temps are ok. currently i am going to run the memtest86 to be sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also ( i dont know if its relevant ) i ve been rendering to premiere a vid for about 30 mins. lightroom seems to work fine and also illustrator. for now, i have only problem with photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i came back after some changes. 
after i installed the Studio Driver for GTX 1050 Ti, 2 times in a row when i opened a photo in photoshop my pc restarted. 
after those 2 times i did open a photo, i processed a photo and then i successfully saved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows reliability monitor should show what was the module that caused the shutdown. That will narrow down the issue.

If reliability monitor points toward the GPU (it would show as GPU related processes) then I would re-install the Studio driver ensuring that you use Advance options and choose a clean install. That removes remnants of the older drivers which could be buggy. Don't assume that other apps prove teh GPU driver is OK, Photoshop makes calls to teh GPU that are not used in other apps.

If it is not GPU related, please state what it is saying (copy and paste teh detail of the 'faulting module' here.

I would still run memtest86 as well as monitoring with  HWMonitor for any large  temp fluctuations in CPU or GPU.

If you have not already done so, reset preferences for Photoshop. These are saved every time Photoshop closes and can become corrupt. They contain much more than user set preferences, and resetting puts the internal settings back to 'factory' spec.

If you still have issues after running those diagnostics then, if you can get Photoshop to open at some point, go to Help>System info and click Copy. Then paste the info in this thread.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok. i am currently away from pc. as soon as i get to it i will try everything you just said. 
thank you very much ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines