• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop TINY window size [macOS 12]

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.3.1 continues to open every file in a TINY window size, magnification less than 1%, in the upper left corner of my screen. I’ve seen dozens of reports, and promises to fix this issue in upcoming versions. After 2+ years of this, I hoped my recent purchase of a new Mac, new OS, and the newest version of Photoshop would fix this, but NO. If this can be fixed, please tell me how. If this can’t be fixed, please say so. Thanks, here's my info:

Mac Studio

Apple Studio Display - Retina LCD

OS Monterey 12.3

Photoshop 23.3.1 for macOS

[OSX, aka OS 10, edited in subject to macOS12 by moderator]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reset your preferences in PS?

Go to Preferences/General and click the reset button. Quit and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin. After I restored the default preferences, Photoshop stopped opening files in tiny windows. I changed a few preferences, quit between each change, had no new problems. That said — I don’t think preferences were ever the problem. Here’s what I found out:

The physical size of a Photoshop doc window upon opening depends entirely on the current physical size of the Application Frame. If the Application Frame is wide/tall enough for the doc, the doc opens at 100% magnification and size. Reduce the size of the Application Frame little-by-little and the doc opens at a smaller and smaller magnification and size. (This holds true no matter if the “Open documents as tabs” preference is on or off.)

Initial magnification being dependent on something other than actual size is a bit annoying, but life is far better now that I know what the problem is. In a perfect world, Photoshop docs would open at 100% magnification regardless of the Application Frame (or any current window) size. I don’t think this was the problem before I upgraded everything, but it could be I suffered needlessly for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a workaround to this issue (I think we are talking about the same issue) either on this board or another one. Here's my setup:

Create and save an action that sizes the open document to your preferred size (mine is the "fit on screen" menu item.
Go to File -> Scripts -> Script Events Manager
Ensure checkbox in upper left is active
On the dropdown next to "Photoshop Event" select "Open Document"
Click radio button "Action"
Use the dropdown to locate your saved action
Click "Add" button at the right
This should now force any document that is opened to open at your preferred magnification.

Note that this only works for documents you open. You can create one for New Documents as well. It won't work for documents you create by duplicating a current document, which can be annoying, though there may be an existing script for that. One of the gurus here may be able to chime in and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines