• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop unable to edit video anymore / Video editing removed?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"unable to open "*.mp4" because Photoshop with this version of Windows does not support video"

Whats going on with PS 25.9?

This worked fine in the past.

It is the same Windows base version (windows 10).

This is not an issue with the video file, all my old videos I used to edit in the past also won't open anymore.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

I might be correct here. According to this post, earlier in the year Photoshop 25 wouldn't even open on non-AVX2 CPUs, so it's very likely that in Photoshop 25+ you cannot use any Video related functionality if your CPU is too old to support AVX2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wurstkrapfen I just tested opening mp4 files in Photoshop version 25.9 on Windows 10 version 22H2, and they're opening fine for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 32-bit Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics I doubt very much it's 32bit as Photoshop requires a 64bit OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I had to roll back to Photoshop 25.7 to get video support back.

25.9.1 and 25.9 both threw a "could not complete the video frames to layers command because does not support video on this version of Windows" error when I tried to use Import -> Video Frames to Layers. This error happens before you even get to choose what file to import so it's not an issue with the video itself. Not sure what changed with 25.9.

Computer Specs
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
GPU: nVidia RTX 3070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WurstkrapfenWhat's your processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version: 25.9.1 or 25.9

Computer Specs
OS: Windows 10 64-bit, version 22H2 [latest version of Win10]
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
GPU: nVidia RTX 3070, driver version 555.99 [latest version of GPU driver]

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Photoshop 25.9.1
2. File -> Import -> Video Frames to Layers

Expected result:
A Windows Explorer "Open" prompt asking which video file I'd like to import.

Actual result:
Adobe Photoshop Error pop-up: Could not complete the video frames to layers command because Photoshop does not support video on this version of Windows.

Workaround:
Roll back to Photoshop 25.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ratspootin just tested on my system and the Windows open option opens as expected, Photoshop version 25.9.1 on Windows 11, also tested on my Windows 10 PC with the same version of Photoshop and no issues either

Have you tried manually resetting your Photoshop preferences
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Remember to back up your settings before doing the preference reset
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_TraynorWhen you test your Win10 machine, can you also post your processor? Even though the error is about the operating system, with Premiere 2024 dropping support for AVX processors, I want to rule out/in the possibility of it being an AVX vs AVX2 issue (as my processor is Ivy Bridge so I missed AVX2 support by a year).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version: 25.9.1

platform/OS version:  Windows 10 Enterprise

22H2

build:19045.4412

when trying to open mp4 files I receive this error:

funkysandman_0-1719455068764.png

I've tried to open several video files and none will open.

Even videos that I created with photoshop will no longer open within Photoshop.

They still play with a media player.

I've reset settings in PS and I've uninstalled and re-installed PS.

I've run out of ideas.

Can you help?

thanks

-Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2024 Sep 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT OPEN THE ADOBE PHOTO SHOP 7.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ratspootin I was able to remotely connect onto my work PC to test, CPU is an Intel i5 10500, as I mentioned above, no issue with the Windows 10 system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit/Solution: The last version that supports AVX for video importing is 25.7. Anything after this version requires that your CPU is new enough to support AVX2.

@Ged_TraynorOkay so that doesn't rule out a processor issue. 😕

So what I've tried
- Clearing Preferences

- Fresh install of 25.9.1

- Compared logs (opening/closing Photoshop vs opening/trying to import video/closing photoshop) and didn't see any additional lines in the logs so the error is not being logged there.

- Installed 25.11 beta

25.11 beta threw a different error. I was able to get to the open file prompt but then it threw an error on the file. I tried three different MP4s, all which opened normally in 25.7 (and I've already made gifs from, including the one I did last night).

Photoshop 25.11 Beta - New Error

1. Downloaded Photoshop 25.11 (Beta m.2625)
2. Open Photoshop 25.11 (Beta m.2625)
3. File -> Import -> Video Frames to Layers
4. Photoshop Prompt to open from Creative Cloud -> On Your Computer -> Select MP4 -> Error: Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.

It's clearly not a file issue, though--there's nothing wrong with the MP4s themselves. Right now I'm going through my preferenecs in 25.9.1 to see if there's anything I can toggle that might fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means version 24 should be fine? I can only install it in parallel for video editing, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use 25.7.

It's 25.9+ (including 25.11 beta) that doesn't support AVX anymore. (I need to edit where I put 25.1--I meant 25.11)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they really messed that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm thinking is they didn't just drop AVX support for Premiere/After Effects/Media Encoder 24, and Bridge 14--I think they dropped AVX support for the entire Adobe line and it's just undocumented for Photoshop since, well, outside of us gif makers, how many people are dropping video into Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be correct here. According to this post, earlier in the year Photoshop 25 wouldn't even open on non-AVX2 CPUs, so it's very likely that in Photoshop 25+ you cannot use any Video related functionality if your CPU is too old to support AVX2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CPU is definitely old, still it used to work fine with an older PS version, it does not seem fair or reasonable.

I really liked to use PS for the occasional video job (as I understand how the program works and it was capable enough). Now I need to find something else and learn how to use it (or install some older PS version too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CPU is definitely old, still it used to work fine with an older PS version, it does not seem fair or reasonable.

I really liked to use PS for the occasional video job (as I understand how the program works and it was capable enough). Now I need to find something else and learn how to use it (or install some older PS version too).

By @Wurstkrapfen

By @Wurstkrapfen

It is prudent not to uninstall previous versions until one is absolutely sure the new versions perform all functions one needs to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Documenting that Photoshop no longer supports AVX would be a good first step in helping us know whether or not the latest version will perform all of the fuctions we need. It's all over Creative Cloud for Premiere and After Effects. I would expect the same if that were the case with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still running a i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40G, still surprising and annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still rocking the i7-3770K so I'm right there with you. The i7 Ivy Bridges are beasts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines