• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will not open RAW files

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has stopped being able to open RAW files. I get the Photoshop cannotopen this file and suggests updating camera RAW. I have Camera RAW 15.1.1.1329 with Photoshop 24.1.1. Here is what I have tried so far:

Uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop - twice (once with keeping preferences and the second time without keeping preferences). Sysytem is new Windows 11 machine which has been opening files with no problem until very recently. It also stopped displaying thumbnails in Windowws photo folders - I resolved that by downloading a more update Nikon Codec. Camera RAW is up to date, am using Nikon D810 so no issue with it being too new! It is creating text files here and there with Gude logging (whatever that is). These same files can downlaod from CF and SD cards on my old Windows 10 computer with same versions of PS and Camera RAW and work just fine. Have done several computer and Photoshop restarts along the way.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Nikon Transfer is known to corrupt nefs in such a way that Adobe camera raw won't open them.

Instead of using Nikon Transfer, use Adobe Bridge>File>Get Photos from Camera or download them directly to a folder on your drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just did a Windows 11 update - no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is it the case for Camera Raw as a filter, or the regular Camera Raw? Did you try opening the files in Bridge via  CMD+R?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular Camera RAW. Will not open files through PS or Bridge. It is the strangest problem - I can open older files, anything before late December. One folder I am able to open files, 10 other folders not. Things shot JPG are fine. I checked Windows updates but nothing seems to correlate to the time frame things don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zip and upload one of the problematic raws to something like Dropbox so we can test? 

Did you actually reset the Adobe Camera Raw preferences (which differ from Photoshop)?

Try resetting the Camera Raw preferences:
Hold down the Command key and select Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw (macOS) or hold down the Ctrl key and select Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw (Windows).
Click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Camera Raw Preferences?"
See also:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html 

And yes, make sure you try this with Photoshop, not Bridge hosting Adobe Camera Raw as it could be a Bridge issue. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this worked - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the reset of preferemnces and that did not solve. Here is a RAW file I can't open : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VCabMilmuU0he9MNtA3wS9ZrGO1ks8_j/view?usp=share_link. Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something seriously wrong with this NEF. Not only can I not open it in Adobe Camera Raw, but I cannot in RawDigger or other raw converters. So this isn't an Adobe issue and seems to be either a very corrupted raw or something along those lines. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I wonder if it is a Windows 11 issue. I downloaded the same files from the same card on my old computer, Windows 10 and current PS and it opens just fine. I needed a file teo days ago so opened it on the old computer, saved as a PS document, then finished on the new computer. Hardly a good workflow! Also have had the issue, only in some folders, of PS creating the Gude text file which seems to be a problem Adobe is working on. Related to inability to open RAW files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a corrupt file, which seems very likely, that is always caused by failing hardware. It could be a failing drive or bad RAM, but in this case I would look at card reader, cables and connectors first. Anything connected externally at the end of loose cables is prone to corruption. Those cables get moved around a lot and the connectors will get worn. It only takes a fraction of a second's broken connection.

The gude log is unrelated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having problems with a media dashboard CF card reader and just bought a USB 3 Delkin card reader to replace. I will try redownloading with the new device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, though, I can read these files just fine on this computer with the Nikon Viewing software (ViewNX). Will still try redownloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a corrupt file, which seems very likely, that is always caused by failing hardware.

By @D Fosse

Agree!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not on Windows. 

Something in transfer might be hosing the documents, the card reader, cable, whatever. All I can tell you is, the NEF you sent isn't able to be opened with anything I have; Adobe or otherwise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reloaded the files using the new card reader plugged into a different USB port. They download OK with Nikon Transfer Software, read OK in Nikon ViewNx and Windows photo viewer. Still will not open in Photoshop nor through Bridge. Will not display a thumbnail image in Bridge, just a NEF tile. Seems to be an Adobe issue although I have completely uninstalled PS and reloaded. I'm stymied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon Transfer is known to corrupt nefs in such a way that Adobe camera raw won't open them.

Instead of using Nikon Transfer, use Adobe Bridge>File>Get Photos from Camera or download them directly to a folder on your drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT WORKED!  I copied and pasted from the card in a card reader to a folder. I have never had issues with Nikon transfer before, been using it for 13 years between a Nikon D3x and D810. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install NX Studio that should get you the latest version of Nikon Transfer and you shouldn't have any issues with a more up to date version of Nikon Transfer.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/564/NX_Studio.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an Adobe issue, at least not the raw you uploaded. Nothing opens it. Adobe or otherwise. I can only speak for the one raw you uploaded so if you want to try another, fine. The one you uploaded is garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use Nikon Transfer to get the Nikon D810 nefs from your camera to computer?

I can view but not do any editing to the file you provided in Nikon NX Studio on macOS Ventura 13.2

Looks like all i'm seeing is the thumbnail preview and not any of the actual nef file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I downloaded through Nikon transfer, from a card reader (new).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines