• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop will not print

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reached a standoff with Photoshop where it refuses to allow me to print my images. I have been working on some family group photos. Last week I successfully printed the first one I completed. Now I am attempting to print the second one and Photoshop gives me the following message whenever I attempt to print any photo, including the sample images from Photoshop tutorials.

"There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents." 

The printer is connected. I have reset the printer settings several times. I have used all the steps in the troubleshooting tutorials. I can print from any program except Photoshop CC.  The strange thing is that, when I open a new document and make a simple brush stroke on the blank page, it prints using the same print settings I  have set up for printing photo images. It just won't allow me to print a photo image. I have had to reinstall Creative Cloud a few times during my work the past couple weeks due to an error when opening Photoshop. I have updated apps a few times and not sure if I have had to do the same ones or if all were new updates published.

I have done all the steps to reset all Photoshop preferences and used all the recommended settings. I have plenty of space allocated to Photoshop, etc.I have done test prints in other applications. I have made many adjustments to the photos (replaced background, adjusted tones, exposure, swapped a couple heads, etc). After completing the work, I flattened the layers. The image is 300 pixels/inch, approx. 8x10 inches. tiff file. The tutorial files I attempted to print are .jpg files. This problem is driving me crazy. I did manage to make a print from Adobe Elements and from Lightroom, but they both came out so dark that it is not an suitable alternative and I do need to fix whatever is wrong with Photoshop. Does anyone have a solution to this, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

I wouldn't worry too much about the thumbnails at this point.

If your phone supports the RAW image format, you might want to use that instead of JPG.  Here's why.

https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-raw-photos-your-iphone-or-ipad

Introduction to Camera Raw files for Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system?

Which version of Photoshop

Do you have the latest print drivers form your printer's manufacturer?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OS X 10.11.6.

Photoshop CC 2017

Printer is Epson Stylus Photo R1900. Drivers are up to date. I did a search to be sure.

To add to the confusion, I took a photo this  morning using my iPhone (the images I have been trying to work on are also iPhone images). That one lets me open the print dialogue. So I went back to the original images and reloaded the untouched ones into PS, thinking that starting from scratch might solve my problem, but am getting  the same "can't connect to printer" error with them. The originals are all jpg. It doesn't matter whether they are .jpg, .tif or .psd. They just won't print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using File > Export > Export As JPG and setting Metadata to none?

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked at that export feature. I am not sure its purpose and to where I should be exporting it. I had not used it for the images in question. Should I be converting the images to .jpg before printing? Also can you please tell me where I should export them? I have just been printing from Photoshop.

I don't have much experience, but I thought .tif made better prints and saved the image without losing quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export As is a new save feature in PS.  I suggested using that because I suspect your iPhone images contain meta data that might be confusing your printer.  It's worth a shot.  You can save them anywhere on your computer that you normally save images to.  Just don't save over your originals.  You may need those later.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I don't screw it up... I open the original files in PS. Then I export to a folder on my computer as .jpgs. Then I reopen them to work on them?  Or do I export the ones I have already worked on as .jpg even though they are already .psd and/or .tif? If I do that, then do I bring them back to PS to print?

The photo I snapped this morning allowed printing even after I made some adjustments to it. One thing I guess I should note is that the family group shots I am editing were taken by at least 3 different iPhones. All the pics got air dropped to me so they are all mixed up and the best shots could have come from my phone or one of the others. Is it possible that there could be different metadata on different iPhones? 2 of the cameras used are iPhone 7 and one is a 6.

I am wondering if I should start completely over with originals if the export feature makes the raw files to be compatible with printing before I do any editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be seeing some progress. I reopened and exported the edited image. Then I reopened it again in PS CC. The print dialogue box opens and I can set all the preferences, but the little preview image page is blank...no image appears in the little preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't worry too much about the thumbnails at this point.

If your phone supports the RAW image format, you might want to use that instead of JPG.  Here's why.

https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-raw-photos-your-iphone-or-ipad

Introduction to Camera Raw files for Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking so much time to help. Even though I had used the Camera Raw filter, I didn't start with actual RAW files.  I didn't even know it could be done on the iPhone. I downloaded Manual so I will have it for future use.

Also, by exporting a few times and making a few little changes to the settings as I did so, the two images I used to composite the one I was trying to print will open the print dialogue correctly even though the "completed" edited one still will not. I will begin tomorrow to just start over and make the new image. I will use the tutorials and try to do all the steps in the right order and correctly, testing the print function at stages along the way.

I will mark this as answered since it seems to be so for now. Crossing fingers that I don't run into the problem after I work on the images.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will print from any other document except for Adobe photoshop elements, 

saying it it cannot open the default printer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Simpley want to print from images already in my computer.  I have an image on the screen, I do not to edit atr this point I just want to print for the first time with this  new  photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Ctrl / Cmd + P.

Select your printer from the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diana, what issues are you facing when trying to print an image from Photoshop? 

Please give us some detail with screenshots of any relevant dialog boxes where you are selecting options

Mac or Windows?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We need a LOT more information. Mac or Windows? What printer and how is it connected? Does it work in other software? Do you get any error messages? Have you updated/reinstalled and printer and printer driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines