Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't let me make a clipping mask

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new to photoshop and I'm struggling with clipping masks. The shortcut does not create a clipping mask and I am not able to click to make a clipping mask through the menu. I've attached a screenshot. Can anyone see the problem? This is in Norwegian, but it is the "Aktiver lagmaske" option.2022-12-23.png 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You already have a Clipping Mask created, maybe if you explained what you're trying to achieve we may be able to assist you better.

2022-12-23 16_00_49-Photoshop won't let me make a clipping mask - Adobe Support Community - 13442328.png

"Aktiver lagmaske" is a layer mask, which can be added via the add layer mask icon

2022-12-23 16_05_52-Untitled-1 @ 50% (Rectangle 1, RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this by clicking 'Activate mask' and it doesn't work the way I think clipping masks are supposed to. Like here, I want a clipping mask so that what I'm drawing does not go outside of the yellow square I drew in the first layer. If that makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A clipping mask does not restrict you certain colours on the layer below. It will see white and yellow as the same as far as clipping is concerned. It restricts you to only none transparent pixels on the layer it is clipped to.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, to clear up the concepts,  "aktiver lagmaske" is apply layer mask in English. That makes an existing mask permanent and irreversible - it replaces the masked areas with transparency and removes the mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create new blank layer, Ctrl + click on layer with yellow square to load selection. With new blank layer selected in the Layers panel click on Add layer mask icon at the bottom of Layers panel. Layer mask will restrict painting to be seen only inside bounds of yellow sqaure.

restrict painting.gif

Another solution: release clipping mask then create new blank layer and clip it to layer with yellow square.

clipping mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

You mentioned that you could not create a clipping mask using keyboard shortcuts. Have you tried Option+clicking on the line between the two layers you want to affect? I use this shortcut key combination all the time. 

Option+Click on the line between the two layers and you will see the cursor change to a clipping cursor.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines