• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Phtoshop only use 100GB of my Ram

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have 128GB RAM, but Photoshop Version: 25.4.0 x64 use ~100 Gb of my memory. 

I followed the instructions here and, Photoshop CC2018 not seeing all my RAM  but it didn't work.

After Effects uses 116GB and reserves 12GB for other programs.

Maybe someone can help me?

Operation system is Windows 10 64 Bit

System info:
Built-in memory: 130946 MB
Free memory: 120004 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 103733 MB (No other programs are running)

Memory used by Photoshop: 100 %

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

By @Javadst

Never do that! Even if Photoshop reports a little less available (which is normal as Ged says).

First of all, Photoshop will reserve that memory within seconds, leaving nothing for other applications and processes. Setting that allocation doesn't mean Photoshop can use that memory - it means Photoshop will use that memory! That will slow down your whole system and push other things into disk paging. And once taken, the memory is not released ag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Javadst it's normal behaviour since version 22.0 as far as I remember, I have 64 GB of RAM and Photoshop shows available RAM as 51 GB, it's nothing to worry about

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Javadst

Never do that! Even if Photoshop reports a little less available (which is normal as Ged says).

First of all, Photoshop will reserve that memory within seconds, leaving nothing for other applications and processes. Setting that allocation doesn't mean Photoshop can use that memory - it means Photoshop will use that memory! That will slow down your whole system and push other things into disk paging. And once taken, the memory is not released again until the application is closed out. Instead, it gets recycled and reused as you work.

What few people know, is that even plugins like Camera Raw run outside Photoshop's address space and require their own memory in addition to what Photoshop uses.

Secondly, Photoshop doesn't really need all that memory. RAM is just a cache for the scratch disk, which is where the real heavy lifting is. There is no such thing as "enough RAM", no matter how much you have. Everything is written to scratch disk at all times. It is much more important that you have enough scratch disk space, than vast amounts of RAM. That situation was a bit different in the old days when we had slow and sluggish hard drives - but today, with ultra-fast NVMe drives, the speed difference is insignificant. The scratch disk is for all practical purposes as fast as RAM.

In short, you can safely dial that down to 80 % or so, and discover that general system responsiveness actually increases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @D Fosse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines