• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Polygon Lasso Tools problem automatically closing selection

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix the Polygon Lasso Tool!!! The tool should ONLY close the path on a DOUBLE click! I have a seperate mouse button set for double click so I can work quickly in Photoshop, but the last 3 Revi=sions to Photoshop have made it IMPOSSABLE to work quickly with the Polygon Lasso Tool. It NOW takes me HOURS to do the same selections I have been doing for the last 20 (yes 20 years). I have been using PhotoShop since 1990 and this IS the worst. I have to wait .5 of a second or more between clicks to keep it from AUTO closing and ruining 5 minutes of hand selection. NONE and I have tried them ALL that Adobe says is the latest and greatest work for auto selection. I know some of the auto select tools work for some of the people, but WHY DID YOU BREAK the Polygon Lasso Tool for those that need it. There are no adjustments that I can find to change the sensitivity in the prefrences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Hi

It’s not an issue for me, either. Can you try another mouse for troubleshooting purposes?

In the meantime, try using the Pen tool. Set it to Path in the options bar (important), then click as you would with the Polygonal lasso tool. Close it by clicking once on the start point. You’ll see a small circle, exactly as you would when you close the Polygonal lasso tool when you click the start point. After closing, convert the path to a selection. I use Cmd+Return (Ctrl+Enter on Windows). You ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on windows using latest and greatest without any problem with Polygonal Lasso. I tried clicking very fast and very slow and everything works just fine. Selection is closing only on double click.

Perhaps I do not understand your problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wait.. it will happen when you least expect it! It happened to me yesterday halfway through a job! Grrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It’s not an issue for me, either. Can you try another mouse for troubleshooting purposes?

In the meantime, try using the Pen tool. Set it to Path in the options bar (important), then click as you would with the Polygonal lasso tool. Close it by clicking once on the start point. You’ll see a small circle, exactly as you would when you close the Polygonal lasso tool when you click the start point. After closing, convert the path to a selection. I use Cmd+Return (Ctrl+Enter on Windows). You can also convert using the button on the Paths panel or the menu in the Paths panel.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If somebody is having this problem, I,ve uploaded the solution to this. Please visit the link.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/polygonal-lasso-tool-closing-automatically-solution/m-p/114... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone uses a pen for there work so there must be a better solution.  This photoshop tool is worthless the way it suddenly closes a path.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having nothing but problems with the polygonal lasso tool as well.  I am certain that I have figured out why and have tested it out to be sure.  I have a 4K monitor and therefore use a 200% magnification so that I can see my windows and text better.  If I turn off the display magnification the polygonal lasso tool works properly.  This doesn't please me at all because it is very necessary for me to keep my display magnified.  Maybe this is the issue that other users are having.  I am curious if this fits with the problems that other people are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try switching off every checkbox in the Tools in Preferences except for "Arrow keys rotate", "Show Reference Point when transform" and "Zoom Resize Windows" and see if this makes a difference - can't hurt to try it.

It happened again today with a complex and large image so lost 3/4 of my selection. I have been using Photoshop since it was just bitmap version and this glitch has happened occasionally since that time and usually goes away with a new version. But this time it may be more complicated as I have a new M1 mac and Adobe is continually patching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been a user of Photoshop user for over 20 years and the Poly Lasso tool feature  automatically closing whilst working mid job on a fine selection is absolutely absurd and an issue Adobe need to rectify. I can spend hours editing fine art images requiriing the most intricate selections when boom the selection makes a decision to close my unfinished selection. This issue happens regardless of using a mouse, track pad or wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I use a stylus, I know there are other options like pen tool and holding alt down while using the lasso tool. the poly tool is my mental default while i'm working. often you are just clicking away with the poly tool and the auto close will ruin/set back many minutes of very tedious work, it's beyond frustrating. if there was a preference that would allow you to disable double click close, just close with return/enter that would be huge and relieve such a constant pain point for me and many of my colleagues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible problem! Using 2023. On newish MacBook pro. Just using trackpad. Have tried switching off "snap-to" etc. Don't know how many hours I've lost. Adobe Customer Service is non-existent. [removed by moderator]

C. In Idaho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cygnus idahoensis wrote:

Adobe Customer Service is non-existent.

Hi Cygnus, 

Adobe Customer Care is not non-existent, but your browser may possibly be blocking it.

Try the link to auto-open the Chat:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen 

If your browser blocks the Chat window, try the troubleshooting tips here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11875703 

If you can't find out why your browser is blocking Chat, you can send a tweet to @AdobeCare.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not aloner Countagent. I have the EXACT problem! Find a solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue and finally resolved it by switching to a different mouse. I use a Logitech trackball mouse and own several of them. I switched out to a different one (not sure if newer or older model) but polygon lasso tool was instantly back to normal afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should't be that hard for Adobe to add a checkbox for this. It's been a problem for users for over a decade. Just let us disable the "double-click to close selection"!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem over three different mice. Horribly frusrating espcially when it happens on towards the end of an intricate piece.
Do you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just want to bump that this is an issue for me in 2023 still (or wasn't an issue til recently with updates though seems to be a much older issue for others). Same as OP lasso/polygonal lasso snaps to the bounds of the file in a way that messes up the ability to make the rest of the shape I was making (it's very jarring). Snapping is completely turned off in view though this happens when its' turned on and only set to guides as well. If so many bugs and not having lasso fill yet weren't enough to want to drift away from photoshop even for professional work, this bug not getting fixed would do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me this happens when using the polygonal lasso tool, the line will auto complete when the next selection click lines up at an angle with the start point (sounds absurd really - looks like a 45 degree angle). I plan on selecting a much lower start point on the left rather than midway left which is my preferred start point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG..  I fixed it! It has been happening to me for the past month... I took someone's advice to change the mouse. I keep on hand several extra mice just in case.  All Logitech, but I have a more expensive model -The  525 that uses two batteries, has a wheel, and has light magnets on the bottom for more control. (I'm not sure I like that yet). And the problem so far for the past 15 minutes disappeared!  Lasso worked perfectly. It has to be the mouse or tool everyone is using because it happened with PSD 2023 and 2024. I had switched to the older version, and it was still funky. This problem is a mystery as to why, after all these years, it started. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it's been months but this turned out to be the fix for me too. I use a logitech G602 mouse - not old but the mmb clicked its final click over the summer (when I made the last comment) and I switched to a razer trinity mouse since I work in 3D and need that mmb. The razer and other mice I tried (mostly razer) had issues with lasso and some other simple hotkeys (almost like hotkey lag?), and the "newer model" mouse logitech sent me for warranty (I think it was G604 but not sure, it was the worst piece of trash I've ever used for so many reasons it's long gone now) had the most obvious problems. With all of these mice I wasn't just using them for 3d and then switching back to my old mouse for photoshop and everything else....until I realized that my old trusty logitech didn't have this issue with hotkeys and a lot of newer mice are just garbage or are so overly customizable that a lot of default settings fall through the cracks with issues (like click latency). 

So oddly the solution for me was going back to my old mouse, and just getting a new plastic mouse piece for the mmb and soldering it on from a youtube tutorial so I don't have to switch mice for programs. 

^ this all said, I'm not going to bring other and newer issues with photoshop into this thread, but I didn't have problems with non-adobe programs for hotkeys or the alt key. It does seem PS2023 and 2024 have SO MUCH background processes running or so much bloatware or something that it seems to either create a log of lag in program or interfere with everything else running (like simple mouse software). So adobe, if you read this: stop this. It's one thing to have a heavyweight program struggle to run because you've got a 3d program, a browser with 100 video tabs open, and a video rendering in the background all going on at once...but something like Photoshop shouldn't be such a mess it can't deal with a mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines