Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Preferences changed themselves

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure and I don't necessarily expect support though If anybody can tell me how to anticipate preferences getting reset all by themselves in Photoshop, it would be nice.

Does it just happen whenever it automatically updates itself?

It seems rather inconsistent because if memory serves correctly I don't recall it being a challenge that consistently happens whenever there's an update.

I do know that I just spent my entire Christmas Day, which I'm spending alone because my family all died during the last 2 years, working on a brilliant composite to pass the time and be productive and creative.

I was just about done All I was doing was smudging some colors in the sky. 

I clicked to save the document before going any further and I finally surrendered after a half an hour of it staying stuck at 21% saved.

I had to control alt delete.

When I opened Photoshop the document did not automatically load so I went and looked in the folder that is the default location for backup files and it's empty.

I've pretty much just stopped posting my questions and concerns here because as a person with autism and that being the main thing affecting the discomfort I have from using the software because I don't have a frame to understand how we are supposed to take it like am I supposed to just be happy that it works sometimes? Is that how other people manage to get around the number of features that don't work or that we have to have workarounds for or for the color science being completely incorrect in certain aspects of Photoshop and a novice who is learning color science, that being me, has to report it to you all but then is slandered and condescended to being told that I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact it was actually true.

No I really don't have any understanding of how I am supposed to frame it because in the real world normally if a product doesn't work they fix it. Or they give you your money back. But that doesn't happen over here. Lots of new things get released and meanwhile I can't save a PNG out of Photoshop without it taking over 30 minutes. 

Anyway I'm ridiculously frustrated I literally have been working on this image since 6:30 p.m. and here at 3:00 a.m. I've now discover I've completely wasted my day and in addition to it already being emotional and bull hockey, I discover that somehow the setting to save backup files has been turned off on my Photoshop and I can absolutely unequivocally beyond a shadow of a doubt guarantee I did not shut it off. 

I will add that I'm very grateful to be exploring DXO photo lab 6 on the free trial right now. I processed my raw files with DXO, then brought them into Microsoft image composite Editor to make a panorama, and then I was doing some compositing in Photoshop. So all I really have to do is find a replacement for Photoshop and I should be all set.

Does anybody have experience with Gimp?

If you do understand what I'm saying about not having a frame, I really appreciate any insight you can give. Maybe like what is your frame what makes it okay in your world that software you pay for doesn't do all of the things it is advertised to be able to do?

As well if anybody knows or has a process whereby they can make sure that Photoshop hasn't just gone ahead and changed things for them to be you know super helpful or something I would love to know that too because I don't know when to look or why to look or how to look I would just rather the software leave itself the way that I have it set you know since I'm paying for it and I'm using it I don't see any need for like a corporate reset to change my settings.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hunter

Sorry to hear of your issues. 

We need some basic information if we are to help.

Which version of Photoshop and Operating system?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Bear in mind it is important to always make backup copies of your work (locally and externally) so you can access your work if (and when!) there's an issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never seen this. 

Yes, there are options to reset preferences on install if you select this option when presented. Set and backup the preferences. What is often seen is corruption of the preferences and a reset or replacement of a good backup is necessary. But an automatic reset or one out of the blue, this I've never seen.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other settings) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them before deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines