• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Parsing JPEG Data

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been posted long back in 2014 and then 2016.

My photoshop CC 2017 was good until I got an update for 2018. Now I cannot open any JPEG files. I get Problem parsing JPEG data.

Following what I have done

1: Reinstalled windows and photoshop CC 2018.

2: Installed older version 2017

3: Spoke to chat support - They asked me to install some RAW update 9.1.1 (Totally useless)

4: Chat support then did a remote session and then made few changes, then blamed the computer RAM for the same. SO I did a memory diagnostic to verify the same. The memory diagnostic didn't show any module or RAM memory problem

Even after doing the above I still have the error.

This has all started after the new update for 2018 came through.

Has anyone able to fix this please. I am not looking to convert file in paint for any other app to make photoshop work.

Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

So I was browsing and trying to search for answers and I found this fix which worked.

In Regedit:

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\120.0

Added DWORD "OverridePhysicalMemoryMB" with the value 4000 hexadecimal base (4GB is my RAM on my surfacepro4)

Try making it with either 32 or 64 bit. One of them works.

Now all photoshop jpeg issues and ram issues are resolved.

also the preferences where few sub options could not be opened have been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aug 28, 2018. I have the same problem. Surface Pro 4. Had Elements 14 installed and working for a while, then, seemingly after an update, I started getting the "problem parsing the JPEG data" error and also lost 2/3's of the program and tools. I thought it would resolve after some time (and newer updates) , so I've been doing  all my photo-editing on my desktop with my Elements 9. That works fine. But, I really want to get Elements working (as it did at one time!) on the Surface Pro 4. Saw these regedit suggestions, but I don't want to blow up my computer! So, I just downloaded a trial version of Elements 18 --- hoping that they would have figured out and fixed the problem. At least the entire program, with quick, guided, and expert, is all there, and the tools seem to be accessible too. But, I still get the parsing error when I try to open a JPEG! So close, and yet so far away. Like someone said above, if it is as simple as the regedit adjustment, why can't Adobe just make a patch that would give us a working product. Aaaarrrrrggghh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very comfortable modifying the Registry and have done it many times.  But this time the registry modification does not work for me. I am running Windows 10, PSE 14, and have 16 GB memory.  So I used 16384 as the memory size, and also tried the lower values.  No luck solving and that is with a full reboot after each attempted modification.  Still getting the parsing error when attempting to open Instagram jpg files.   Workaround into another program and "Save As..." is my only solution at this point. Open to further suggestions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you get this fixed?  HOW ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming them as PNG. Some files out there are mislabelled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, renaming them as .PNG does not change the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a file? Not by posting it to the forums, which will reprocess the image data, but by sharing it directly (not email)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Link to photo in Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbsfvgy7otf767p/Charlie%208%20months.jpg?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines