Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Problems exporting at 300 ppi

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an amateur photographer and I enter photos into my local club competitions.
For competition I need the photo to be  at 300 pix resolution by 1600-1200, length and height, I have had no problem with this for many years, I would just, resize then 
Save as/save for export to my desktop then E. Mail the photo to the club site from the desktop.
But a recent upgrade has changed  this so that when I export to my desk top the photo file size is resized down to 74 Pix !! And I can not find a way to Export at 300 PPI .
Any help would be much appreciated.
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Export use Save (for PSD) / Save a Copy (for JPGs etc)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Image > Image size and set it up to 300 dpi (with resampling marked). You will notice an increase of the sizes, so it is important to correct sizes back to 1660/1200  before validate.

Then "save as" instead of export… and choose Jpeg or Png…

It should work

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still using save as and not one of the export features? Any export feature, except save as, will change the ppi.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please teach your club that 300 pixel resolution by 1600-1200 and 72 pixel resolution 1600-1200 or 1000 pixel resolution by 1600-1200 are ALL the same! That so-called resolution value (300/72/1000 or anything else) is just a metadata tag. What is essential is the pixel dimensions which in this case are supposed to be 1600-1200, in length and height.

This super old article is no different today than when it was first published and should explain all this to your club:

http://digitaldog.net/files/Resolution.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be clear about this: Export and Save For Web do not save at 72 ppi. They strip the resolution metadata entirely from the file. It has no ppi number.

72 is just the default value assigned by Photoshop when reopening the file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines