• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS 2021 can't use NVIDIA driver on MacBook Pro 2013 (Catalina)?

Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone had this issue (probably a few years ago now)?

You go to Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings in Photoshop 2021 and the option to use the graphics driver is greyed out, along with filters like Oil Paint, etc, because Apple dropped support for NVIDIA drivers.

Having just updated my 2013 MBP to Catalina and my Photoshop to 2021 I'm disappointed to find Photoshop, and other processes, hampered by this.

Is there a fix?

BTW: CUDA drivers do not work for this issue, despite what some Apple Support staff tell you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

To be clear, your current 2013 MBP graphics card does not meet the current minimum system requirements for Photoshop GPU.

Specifically, your Nvidia card clocks in at 648 ops/sec, has only 75 MB of VRAM and does not support Metal.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html 

The minimums are 2000 ops/sec, 2GB of VRAM and Metal support:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

You have two options:

Uninstall Photoshop and install an earlier version and do not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to take this up with Apple. MacOS no longer supports Nvidia GPUs in any shape or form. This is outside Adobe's control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, your current 2013 MBP graphics card does not meet the current minimum system requirements for Photoshop GPU.

Specifically, your Nvidia card clocks in at 648 ops/sec, has only 75 MB of VRAM and does not support Metal.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html 

The minimums are 2000 ops/sec, 2GB of VRAM and Metal support:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

You have two options:

Uninstall Photoshop and install an earlier version and do not upgrade OR

purchase a newer Mac with current minimum specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The AMD Radeon R9 in my 2015 MacBook Pro is barely supported, your card is definitely too old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the above is correct, but on Mac, the GPU has to be supported by that particular version of MacOS. The driver is an integral part of the OS. You can't just download a driver from the GPU manufacturer.

And from ca Mojave, Nvidia GPUs are not supported at all. Even if the card meets the system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Kevin et al.
Yes, it does seem that installing CUDA, as instrcted by the first Apple support employee I contacted via Support chat, was wrong.

There is no point trying to install a new graphics driver on a Catalina 2013 MBP.

I have had to manually delete CUDA and it's a relief to know that the graphics driver is integral to the OS as I could easily have caused a greater problem if it were otherwise.

Clearly 2013 MBPs will soon hit total obsolescence so I'd better get saving for the replacement MBP, A modern (£2k!) equivalent machine 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines