• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CC 2018 Brush Lag/Brush Delay?

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently, I bought a subscription to creative cloud, for the sole purpose of using Photoshop. As a digital artist, it's been frustrating having to deal with the brush lag/delay, whilst having attempted to troubleshoot the issue for hours.

Solutions I've tried that do not fix the Lag/Delay:

-Turning off smoothing

-Lowering/Increasing the spacing of a brush

-Changing to basic mode

-Increasing/Decreasing Memory usage

-Lowering Cache Levels, Cache Tile Size, or History States

-Turning off rulers (I keep my rulers off at all times.)

Although the Brush Lag is faint, it's noticeable and breaks the flow of drawing and has me resorting to my other programs.

I've used the earlier version of PS CC 2017 on a lower end laptop in the past and had no issues.

Is this an issue, we can look forward to being fixed in the near future with an update? Or is it an issue on my end?

Help/Advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Thank you for the information, I do not think it has to do with the secondary monitor, however, I believe the issue is related to the GPU.

Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronaldm,

We're sorry to hear about Brush lag in Photoshop, could you please let us know which exact version of Photoshop you're working on and which operating system are you using?

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps with the issue?

Preferences in Photoshop

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the current PS CC 2018, on Windows 10.

And I've reset the preferences, and there doesn't seem to be any change.

Would working on more than 1 monitor be an issue? I use a display tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information, I do not think it has to do with the secondary monitor, however, I believe the issue is related to the GPU.

Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions, and there seems to be an improvement!

The brush lag has decreased significantly, although there still seems to be a small split second tick before the brush stroke appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having this issue since I updated

seriously Adobe - this is not acceptable !!

as A professional retoucher this is badly affecting my speed, so also causing a loss in profitability

the brush tool is 'the' most commonly used tool in photoshop - how can it be that this doesn't work right now !!!!!!!

I've trawled the forums and tried all the fixes

turned off smoothing,

reset tool

reset / renamed preferences

and just turned off the "use graphics processor" option and this hasn't helped either

Running on

Mac pro late 2013

3.7 quad core intel xeon e5

16gb memory

Amd Firepro D500 3072mb

OsX El Capitan 10.11.6

I'm going to have to downgrade now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one should have to mess with the brushes themselves. That doesn't seem to be the issue. I poked around to a lot of the forum questions related to this issue. I went back to the version I last had no issues with and checked the performance settings. Many suggested turning it off & on. But, the latest update had changed the settings whereas the earlier version I went back to I noted the settings. Then went back to the latest update and made sure the settings matched.

So it seems that the latest update had turned off some of the checked items in the advanced area of the performance preferences and changed the Drawing Mode to Basic.

To check out those settings, go to Photoshop Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings: Advanced Settings >

Make sure all Advanced Settings are checked and the Advanced Drawing Mode is selected instead of Basic or Normal. In the Performance area, also make sure you are allowing Photoshop to use enough memory. Mine is set to 70%. I use Photoshop deeply so it's important for it to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a photogrpher and I have the same problem of the original post since the first update to Photoshop CC2018 and for me it is impossible to work with such a serious handicap.

I tried and followed several discussions about it and I tried several times without solving.

For now I'm still working on Photoshop CC 2017 without being able to take advantage of improvements brought to CC 2018!!!!!

I hope that SOON there will be a way to fix this problem!!!!!!

Thank you!

Windows 10

intel core i5 6600

Nvidia geforce GTX 1060 6Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you fix the problem . For me it was defiantly turning off the smoothing in both Brushes and Erase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, but I think I fixed it on my side (kind of). If you select your brush, you will have a folder that is the "shape parameters", there you have a list of characteristics with box that you can check or uncheck. The parameter "smoothness" was the one that made my brush delayed. (sorry I don't know if the words are correct I am translating from french) It worked for me! !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This suggestion worked for me. I tried all other performance setings and recommendations for about 40 min. Frustrated... This changed the brush speed for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronaldm,

1 step is:-  Go to Edit then Select Purge and the select all. After doing this your all photoshop problems will be fixed. It will reset your photoshop.

2 step is:-  Turn off the Scattering option inthe Brush tool panel.

Hope so it will fixed your brush lag.Screenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got in touch with Kuldeep from Adobe and he helped me resolve this exact issue. I will provide a link below to the steps we went through to resolve the issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all above and below, nothing works for me.The lag still there, and Im just using pencil brushes, oil, acrylic ones, are hard to used. CLIP STUDIO PAINT has save me as an artist in the last 2 years. You would think that the best software in the world should be ready to work for you right away, but no, all this twiking, changing  things, ugh On top of that, I only have the acces to this forums where hopefully somebody will answer (where are Adobe people answering strigh forward to the costumer? We are paying a lot of money for a better service)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultrnwjtift2rn9_0-1609482366039.png

i have faced the same issue  so i did the below step , now its working fine .Click the brush then click down arrow there u will find the setting icon click that and select the Reset All tools from the option list 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I had the same promlem and i found on the internet the unlikely idea to hide the rulers (command R) and what do you know? worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had this same problem on and off over the last 8 years. And the solutions Adobe suggests is always to scale down some of the tools, reemove smoothness, or make adjustments on the preferences, etc, which if you think of it, they're not really solutions. They're temporary patches they ask you to do. Again, I've been using a tablet for Ps over the past 8 years, and this is a persistent issue, that didn't really get "resolved".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines