Exit

PS doesn't remember last used path and file type when "Save as..."

Guide ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: Windows 10

Version: PS 2023

Problem: when opening a PSD by double-click and then doing "Save as..." or Ctrl+Shift+s it would start in the folder path of the PSD. When switching to another folder, doing the save as a JPG and later doing another save as  JPG from within the same open PSD, the target folder and file type are reset. I cannot be sure whether this on purpose or not, but it's extremely annoying to have to click through to the target folder all the time. In other situations, like when "Export as", it would remember the last path and also the file type. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Prefs>File Handling>Save As to Original Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doc Maik sorry to hear this.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manuallyā€Æ 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prefs>File Handling>Save As to Original Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick. I now wonder if this is an old doggy or something fancy and new. At least it's activated by default.

Plus it's still illogical to me, as I think it should only start the first Save as in the original folder, which is OK, but not the next ones. However, solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant: if this is/was a new feature/setting in one of the recent PS versions and then something that didn't exist before, the default setting has to be "off", so PS behaves as usual. @CoryShubert probably had the thought, but I never activated it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a preference, it can go either way. It's always been there. The default is original folder. There has to be some default, and that's it.

Personally, I much prefer to uncheck it, so that all saves go to the last used folder. That's convenient if you're saving to a certain destination folder regardless of where the files may come from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines