• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS is Creating A New Layer On Top of Smart Object When Using the Brush Tool On a Smart Object

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe!

I've encountered a problem. When a intending to brush on a smart object a new pixel layer is created somewhere in the layer stack unbeknownst to the user and all brushstrokes are applied there. I use Smart Objects a lot. This is/was a shorthand way of me converting a smart object to a normal layer instead of having to scroll WAY over to my layers panel and right-clicking the layer and then selecting Rasterize Layer. It's totally messing up my muscle memory and workflow - to the extent that I'm reverting to an older version of PSD. 

It seems like loads of people are complainging about it online and I want to join the chorus.

WHHYYYYYY in the name of god and all that is holy would you add this horrible bug (I will NOT call it a "feature") without giving the user a way to disable it? I've been using photoshop all day (and the past 20+ years) and this bug just came up this evening. I have deadlines! I have clients! I don't have time for this nonsense. I do see the irony of me taking time to submit a bug report but that's just how angry I am. I love Photoshop. I need it to do my job. But seriously WHYYYY??? Why are you doing this to me! Stop chaning things!!!! GAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Sincerly, 

Ann Kruetzkamp

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick workaround will be to assign keybaord shortcut to Rasterize command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the interruptions to your workflow and frustration this causes @annk47167796 .

That's an interesting use of the dialog, to intentionally force the rasterization of the smart object layer. Thanks for providing that workflow idea. 

You can disable this auto-creation of a layer when using the Brush tool in the Photoshop General Preferences here:

You'll want to uncheck this option.

PeteGreen_1-1698274965915.png

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pete, I love you. I didn't know about this option and was pulling my hair out everytime a new layer was created when all I want was to quick rasterize a smart layer with brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>WHHYYYYYY in the name of god and all that is holy would you add this horrible bug (I will NOT call it a "feature") without giving the user a way to disable it?

That's the modern Adobe way - change a feature that people have been using for 20+ years, don't add an option to keep it as it was, wait until enough people freak out about it, then finally add a new preference months after the change. 
Personally, I find this behavior to be incredibly disrespectful to those who need to use Ps to keep a roof over their head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines