• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Sticky" Modifier Keys

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else having problems with modifier keys sticking? For example, when you press and hold the option/alt key to use the eyedropper while using a brush 50% of the time it stays on the eye dropper even when you release option/alt key. I'm using a Mac and no, I don't have "Enable Sticky Keys" or "Enable Slow Keys" checked off in Preferences > Accessability > Keyboard.

It started happening after the lastest Photoshop CC 21 update, 22.3.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop>Preferences>General, click on Reset Preferences On Quit and restart photoshop.

rep.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried this but it does not solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset it. Issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop>Preferences>General, click on Reset Preferences On Quit and restart photoshop.

I guess it would be expecting too much of Adobe to fix the fact that, apparently (except not really), their own app preferences are the cause of virtually every Creative Cloud bug in existence. I've seen this advice parroted in response to a litany of problems for many years now—alongside the ever-useless "well you shouldn't be working with design files stored on a network drive in the first place"—and at some point the finger needs to be pointed inward. At this point I only expect Adobe to get worse, and will be amazed if they ever improve again given their near-monopoly on the industry and clear disinterest in fixing their buggy software, but it would be a wonderfully pleasant surprise if this ever happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of macOS are you using?

Is your Mac an M1 or Intel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Pro.

OS Big Sur, 11.2.3.

3.3 GHz 12 -core Intel Xeon W. 
32 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB.

So, it's definitely not my machine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this will sound like a dumb question, could you actually have "sticky keys"? As in, could you have a physical issue with your keyboard?

The Creative Cloud app allows for multiple versions of Photoshop to be simultaneously installed. Do you have this problem now while using an earlier version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, my keyboard is just over a year old. If the key itself were sticking I'd know. It's just Photoshop having the issue. Illustrator works fine. I did notice this was an issue with many user several years ago but I don't know if they ever found a solution either. 

I don't have any other version of PS installed. Just the most recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear. Best of luck finding a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does going to Photoshop>Preferences>Performance, unchecking Use Graphics Processor and restarting photoshop make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm a bit hesitant to change that setting, as I am an illustrator and I rely heavily on painting digitally as a professional artsit, so I prefer to have an advanced drawing mode enabled. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but this would not be an efficient solution just for finicky modifier keys.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 6.14.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my Mac. In my experience pressing alt sometimes won't register me pressing it, or it will get stuck on the eye dropper tool until I press alt again. 

I tried unchecking Use Graphics Processor, but the issue is exactly the same for me. I know it's not my physical alt key because the issue started happening RIGHT after I updated to 22.3.1. What's annoying is rolling back to the previous version of PS did not help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a diagnostic step.

If it makes a difference that gives adobe some info to figure out how to solve the issue in an update.

You can always turn the Use Graphics Processor back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

I tried working without the GPU for about 10 minutes. I didn't experience any sticky modifier keys, however I did experience a massive slow down in performance, especially while working on a semi-large file (490 MB). There was also a small delay when pressing a modifier key (option key for eydropper tool while using the brush tool). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report your findings over here where adobe wants bugs written up and see what they say:

https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely some sort of Photoshop/macOS bug as I am experiencing the same issue. I've tried installing older and older versions of Photoshop (I'm now at ver. 22.2 but it's still happening). I'm beginning to think it is more of a Big Sur issue with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue.

• MacOS 10.14.6
  • Photoshop 22.4.1
  • Wacom drivers 6.3.43-3, Intuos M (PTH-651)
  • Accessibility features OFF

It happens most often when I'm using the brush tool to paint, then quickly holding OPTION to switch to eyedropper, sample a colour, and continuing to paint. It SEEMS to happen less after just opening Photoshop, but once it starts, it increases in frequency (I think. Like I said, it "seems."))

I'd consider down-grading my Wacom driver, but the current driver (the most recent as of this writing) solves a different problem for me.

I have briefly tried to replicate this using Photoshop 20.0.9, but not for long enough to determine if it was an issue. Regardless, PS 22.4.1 solves problems I was having with 20.0.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was an issue back in 2016 - Ended up being the new wacom driver conflicting.

If you can intal an older version for your wacom it should fix it, if youre like me and can't back instal due to the OS then you're out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that thread and so I uninstalled all wacom software, bought a different brand of tablet, started using it with just default macOS drivers, but issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but it only happened after updating to Big Sur 11.4, from Catalina, and I have experienced it in Photoshop 2019, 2020, and 2021 so it seems to be tied to the OS and not just Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only started happening to me when I updated my PS to 22.3.1. However, when I rolled back to the PS version I was on before, it didn't fix the issue. I'm not sure what to blame, PS, Wacom or MacOS. 

What tablet do you have? I noticed when I move my stylus and simutaniously press the alt key, that's when it starts sticking. It doesn't stick at all when I move the curser with my Mac's track pad. Is this your experience? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not Wacom as I have the same issue with a non-Wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so it's either MacOS or PS. What's so annoying about this is there seems to be not enough people dealing with this issue for it to be investigated by Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm personally using a Wacom but it definitely seems to be OS/Photoshop related instead of something with the tablet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines