Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

RAM issues with Photoshop 2022

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems with RAM issues with Photoshop 2022. I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz and 16GB RAM. I was able to sail through Photoshop 2021 with no issues at all. I can barely do the essentials in 2022 before it stops responding or can't even save a simple file because of the lack of RAM. I reinstalled 2021 just to get work done. Help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error message are you getting that indicates that your issue is in regards to the RAM? Knowing that, may help us to help you.

As of Photoshop 2022, many system requirements have changed. Please check this page, to ensure you have sufficient GPU power. Your 16GB RAM is sufficient. (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html)

In the meantime - please enter Preferences>Performance and ensure you're applying sufficient RAM to Photoshop. It may help to cut down on the usage of other apps, so there's more available to Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'd get an error somewhat along the lines of "can't complete SAVE function because there is insufficent RAM" (or something to that nature). I uninstalled PS 2023 for now so I can't tell you the exact error.
  • GPU = Intel(R) UHD Graphics
  • What do you consider sufficient RAM for Photoshop under the Performance?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. It is so irritating. I might have to go back down to 2021 too. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some images to show you how PS 2022 shows I have 2 windows open, and you can even see the layers open to the right, but the "home screen" is still showing. Also, here is the error I'm getting.

Note that this is actually from my work computer. So I'm getting these same errors on both my personal and work computers. Both are newer computers with all the necessary specs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those two are unrelated. The first screenshot shows a GPU issue. Go to Preferences > Technology Previews and check "Deactivate Native Canvas" Any better?

As for the second, have you changed RAM allocation in preferences? If not, fine. It should be set to around 70% (the default).

Photoshop normally doesn't "run out of RAM". It goes to the scratch disk instead, and as long as you have enough free disk space, Photoshop should keep on working even in low RAM situations. In any case it reuses available RAM.

How much free disk space do you have for the scratch disk? What does it say in Preferences > Scratch Disks?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I finally got PS 2022 working fine on my personal computer. I didn't do anything different. It just "woke up" and decided to work.

However, I'm having hit and miss issues with my work computer. Last week PS2022 appeared to work fine, but I'm back to having RAM errors again today. At present, I have 126.66GB free space.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issues with ram and I deleted my old version

so I cant reinstall the older version of Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines