• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raster Lines

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a black and white photo. I am trying to retore and colorize it. It has horizontal raster lines across it. I am a beginner at Photoshop. How do I get rid of these lines?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are multiple methods, but it depends on the image. Please attach as sample image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the photo. I apologize I had to block the face. I was not authorized to show the picture. You can see the rater lines.
Colorization was no problem. One click did the trick.

Masood

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Masood21842600ffxz 

There is no attachment (don't send it via email reply). Use the website and forum software to add an inline image or attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scan0023-Blocked.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colorizing shouldn't be a problem. The Neural Filter 'Colorize' does an amazing job.  The horizontal lines are another matter, and I suspect will be difficult fully remove without a trace.  As Stephen has said, show us the image and we' see what might work the best for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original source of the capture?

Is this image the unmodified original (apart from the face redation)?

Has it been resized?

If this was an original interlaced video frame, then Filter > Video > De-interlace would do an OK job, but it doesn't.

If the source was a video, then you could average multiple frames.

A 90° motion blur filter requires a very high value,  but might be acceptable to you (you can fade to lighten or darken modes for alternative processing directly after the filter application, or work on a duped layer and change the layer blend mode).

You can try Filter > Neural Filters: Photo Restoration, Adjustments - Halftone artefacts reduction as a start point for blending and other restoration methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The original photo is 1.75" x 2.25". It has not been resized.

I don't know the original source.

But multiple use of  Filter > Video > De-interlace did a credible job. Skin smoothing did an excellent job on the face.

Thanks again for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the original size in px, but if it hasn't been resized then that is a moot point. Glad you have a processed image that you are happy with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another method is to duplicate the layer, change the blend mode to overlay, and nudge the duplicate downward with the arrow keys.

2023-10-22_22-24-33.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have not tried this one yet. I don't fully understand but I will give it a try. I may come back for more explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will appreciate if you could you explain the third step (curves?)? As I said, I am a beginner and do not fully understand all the terms yet. What am I linking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had an acceptable solution but  on closer look, the lines were still there especially on the face. Just the background lines seemed to have cleared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The curve adjustment layer  was just to restore the original contrast after using the overlay blend mode. I cannot see what the best method is for the face as it is covered in the sample image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines