Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RE: Adobe RGB 1998 VS ProPhoto RGB

Guide ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have used the Adobe RGB 1998 Color Space for many years, and I have no problem with that.

What Is ProPhoto RGB ?

Is It better than Adobe RGB 1998 ?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2014 Jan 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I'm one of the apparently few who aren't too concerned with the gamut limitations of Adobe RGB vs. ProPhoto. I know it's there, of course, but I actually prefer to work in Adobe RGB whenever I can. The reason is that ProPhoto is so compressed in the shadows that I find it difficult to do subtle adjustments without spilling the whole can, so to speak. Just a matter of taste.

At the same time I hate clipping on principle and go to great lengths to avoid it. So it's a rock and a hard place...

But as for the finished result, it's my philosophy that if pressed, I could do whatever I want inside sRGB. It's not the absolute saturation as such, it's the relationship between colors that give an impression of rich color. And that's final

I'll stop rambling and go to bed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

animationlife wrote:

…I know Adobe RGB has a wider range of colors, than sRGB, but most Browsers work better with sRGB…

I hope I made it clear to you that I'm not concerned with images on the web. 

sRGB is the lowest-common denominator, that's why it works "better" when your standards are low.  Well, kind of…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am not concern for the images on the web

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files have no color space. That's why they're called raw.

The color space selection on a camera menu only applies to the JPEG preview and in some models the live histogram (if it comes from the JPEG). The fact that on EOS bodies the filename prefix changes for CR2 files as well is just because they couldn't be bothered with extra code.

animationlife wrote:

When I shoot with my Canon 5D, I always shoot Raw, and The color space for my canon 5D is Adobe RGB. There is no ProPhoto RBG Color Space In my Canon 5d.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As station_two pointed out that Color Space is large.

When converting images from a large Color Space to a smaller one (for example when preparing an image to be CMYK printed commercially) the results can suffer especially when working in 8bit.

This naturally falls under what station_two summed up with

it can give you all kinds of grief if you don't know exactly what you are doing

but I thought it might be worth pointing out right away.

Edit: Had missed Jeff’s post that also referred to the bit depth. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a topic title like this, your thread is going to attract an awful lot of views in anticipation of the kind of answers you've been getting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines