• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real time update in new window could change how you draw!

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Currently when you click Windows>Arrange>New Window for Untitled-1 you get a second window which shows updates by the tool after you have finished the work. If this update was in real time you could draw on a tablet while watching another.

Many people who use non-graphic tablets draw like this naturally. I have a graphics tablet but sometimes the pen is overtop the area I want to draw or modify. If I could see real time updates then I could overcome the need to flip the screen horizontally or rotate it.

Is there any reason this window is not in real time?

Awaiting,

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my guess is it would require double GPU power

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my guess is it would require double GPU power

Can someone please verify that their image in a new window is or isn't updated in real time. My second view is not in real time.

Regards,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second window updates at the end of each brush stroke. So not real time.

If it is important to you, you can raise a feature request at the link below:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Dave and everyone! Haven't we crossed paths before? I think this could be a useful addition. Anyone else think so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one document the updates are the same in both views.  What you see in the window being  updated in real time is a preview of your use of the current tool. A brush stroke is not complete till you release the mouse button or lift the  pen off the surface. At that time the document layer is updated and the views are refreshed. You do not see the stroke in the second view till the stroke has been applied to the document. You normally work on a image in a scaled view and the second view scale may have a very different scaled view.  Once your scaled stroke is complete it is scaled to the documents actual scale and the stroke is applied to the actual document. Then both view are refreshed. You request would only add brush stroke lag, slow down Photoshop performance. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response JJ. I think your answer helps me to explain the process Photoshop goes through every step of the way.

I was just looking at it now and you can set up a duplicate display (in Windows) and see real time results that way. Quite neat to try this with a tablet. I was trying to draw looking at the second screen and I seem to draw at funny angles. Obviously this is 'doable' as a lot of people use the non-monitor drawing tablets. Is there a simple way to learn this? I'll have to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So if that is how Photoshop implements it view UI it would be extremely useful to show a brush preview in all the open windows/views of the active document. Assuming the preview is in a buffered layer displaying that buffer in multiple windows should not be any hit even at different zoom levels.

I am currently trying to tweak the transforms on a layer, which requires being zoomed out to grab the transform handles, while trying to see its alignment on a fine scale which requires being zoomed in on a couple of points in the image. Having to wait to see any changes in the zoom view until after the transform tool handle is released makes said tweaking impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines