Our Legal Department raised an issue where they are being asked to redact out specific personal information from embedded pictures and when they do the redaction the entire image goes away and is replaced by black boxes. We identified a work-around where they have to save the image, then re-import the image and save as PDF to correct this. To complicate matters there are different versions of this template being used. The one that appears to be problematic is formated in the metadata as "Application: Acrobat PDFMaker 22 for Word". The other template that redacted fine is formated in the metadata as "Application: Microsoft Word for Microsoft 365". When I asked for the specific template that the original agent is using to embed the images they gave me the one that is formated as "PDFMaker22 for Word". So I tried to see if I could convert the template from Word back to PDF using Adobe Acrobat but it loses some of the built in functionality and then when I tested the template given to me and embedded some images and tried to re-open the same pdf the document just freezes, which to me indicates an issue beyond what I am troubleshooting so not a great sign.
I think we identified a work-around where the person who is tasked to redact can save and remove the image and re-embed it and then save the pdf again and that seems to work. They want this fixed but I am not sure what me as a tech can do to resolve other than pointing to the workaround. The person who created the original template has left so I can't ask specific questions to how it was created but I do have the metadata.
I attached what the black box looks like. I can only share but so much obviously as we are dealing with internal docs and it involved Enforcement/Hearings so please understand.