• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing file to 5 MB

Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my files are, let's take one, approx 4000 pixels width, sadly I need to upload to a site that takes max 5 MB per file, image size window says 120M, info panel (control click on file name) says 241 MB, the latter is - I think - only available to Mac users. Adobe (will correct me if I am wrong)  said  that the latter is the true MB.

Is there a shortcut to figure out the new width? I googled and they said to experiment, that is what I am trying to avoid, because I am not in a hurry.

The percentage field in Save for web is intriguing and I think is made for that, but how do I use it?

Also if the file will upload with a '5" in the image size window (pixel dimension) I will have to reduce less, I suppose.

Also I remember I have to check Constrain proportions and Resample image, uncheck Scale styles.Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 17.02.05.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-18 at 21.28.20.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

None of the sizes inside Photoshop show the size it will save. Google is right. EXPERIMENT. Use visual checks very carefully as well as looking at the file size. That size does not even exist until you try to save it, because it will be compressed, newly and differently, each time. Save for Web can be a useful tool for smaller files, because it does a quick secret save to find out the size. Likely to take too long for yours.

The size of a JPEG file depends on the quality you select (not actually

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If these are photographs, just use Save for Web (legacy) , choose jpeg as the file type,  leave the Image size options alone and adjust the quality value whilst watching the file size underneath the image preview.

As an aside - always check - Convert to srGB and Embed Color Profile when sending to a website.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

/Thank you, I am surprised Embed color profile was not checked by default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the sizes inside Photoshop show the size it will save. Google is right. EXPERIMENT. Use visual checks very carefully as well as looking at the file size. That size does not even exist until you try to save it, because it will be compressed, newly and differently, each time. Save for Web can be a useful tool for smaller files, because it does a quick secret save to find out the size. Likely to take too long for yours.

The size of a JPEG file depends on the quality you select (not actually a percentage). Only you can decide on what setting the file quality drops too much. That's why you have to do the experimenting yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing concept, so, physically, I selected 4-Up (what is "-Up"?) the MB underneath the quality preview is less then 5 but  visually perfectly acceptable at first shot, my width has INCREASED to 5616 (go figure!) but I don't have to worry about it, is that it?

Also the Optimized has the same 4,28 MB as the 4,28 in 4-UP but I suppose is better, so i will take that, that was a little too quick! why Optimized if it has exactly the same settings as 4-UP?

Thank you!SAVE FOR WEB.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines