• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Bright Background Light (Car Headlight)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have not used Photoshop in quite some time, and even then have never used it to edit actual photographs. Is it possible to remove or lessen the effect of the bright headlight(s) in the background of the linked image (and the resulting beam of light across the face of one of the subjects)?

Photo [edit by request ussnorway]

Snapchat-927497232.jpg

Thank you very much!

Masaomi Kida

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

It's not an easy fix, and not something I'd want to instruct you how to do yourself, because there are so many problems.  It's also one of those pictures when you don't know when to stop, because you keep seeing another issue, and with the different light sources coming from all over the place, we can't say for sure what the real colours should be.  The gentleman's suit for instance, but the grey I went with is working well with the skin tones.

Having spent some time fixing the flare, you are lef

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get more replies if you post the image directly I the forum, a simple copy and paste will work.

I only say this as some don't like to click links due to amount of spam we have had over the years.

Just a suggestion only...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I appreciate it. Should I be allowed to edit the initial post? As I do not see a way of doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an easy fix, and not something I'd want to instruct you how to do yourself, because there are so many problems.  It's also one of those pictures when you don't know when to stop, because you keep seeing another issue, and with the different light sources coming from all over the place, we can't say for sure what the real colours should be.  The gentleman's suit for instance, but the grey I went with is working well with the skin tones.

Having spent some time fixing the flare, you are left with the glaring car headlights that pull the eye away from the main subjects, so you have to tone them down.  Here again, not being familiar with American vehicles, I had to guess what headlights to overlay the glare with.  Not too bad at this size, but a full res image would need a better match.

Even after pasting the fixed image here, I suddenly saw something I couldn't live with and went back and fixed it, and updated the image below.  So far from a great job, but hopefully an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have removed the background all together but your edit is really what was asked for... nice work mate

p.s, I have removed to top link and replaced it with the photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would removing the background make the process simpler?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True-Kida

Removing the background completely takes away the need to fix the bright headlights, but you have the job of making the clipping path.  A worthwhile job though, as it lifts the image and gives us a chance to brighten it up without it looking wrong.  If you tell me where this was taken, or can provide a link to a better, cleaner version of that background, I can replace the as shot background with the new.  Or it is going to be easy to do now the background is pure white, as that makes for a super easy selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also thank you for replacing the link with the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! Thank you so much! I can work with this. I didn't actually take the picture myself, and in hindsight there much were better options for a background.

Is the process to lengthy to explain? Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True-Kida  wrote

Should I be allowed to edit the initial post? As I do not see a way of doing so.

Do you mean that you want to remove the link from the initial post? You can’t, but a moderator can fix that for you now that you have posted the photo in another post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Snapchat-927497232.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines