• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing image from inside border

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if anyone could help with removing an image from a black border outline while keeping the border itself? I would like to reuse the exact black border (keeping its exact shape and colour) for other images to go inside the border. Is this possible in photoshop? 

The idea is to almost make the image space like a green screen where I can replace the image inside the black border. 

Thank you in advance for your help. The image is attached!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem I can see is several areas of the bottom edge of the image have no separation from the clear base between the sprocket holes. Do you possibly have a lighter exposed frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you follow Semaphoric’s advice and find a photo with the same frame and no black in the image itself, you can then use Select > Color Range to sample the black edge color and create a selection from it, and convert the selection into a mask that you can reuse with any image. In the demo below, the purple layer is an example of how another image could be added behind the resulting masked black frame.

Photoshop mask from black edge Select Color Range.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it, but it's easier to just make a new frame. To do what you're talking about, though, here is one way:

With the Rectangle Tool, make a rectangle to fit inside the frame:

1.jpg

Lower its opacity so you can see the frame beneath as a guide:

2.jpg

But what I found while doing this was that the black frame is not crisply or evenly defined:

3.jpg

5.jpg

So when my rectangle was done, the result was uneven:

4.jpg

So I made a new frame by first filling the layer with white:

6.jpg

Then I set the brush to 50 pixels (you can make it any width you like of course) and went Edit>Stroke

8.jpg

Then select the center with the Magic Wand Tool. then Edit>Cut, and now you have a clean frame into which ou can insert any image.

11.jpg

        

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I would be looking to keep the inside shape i.e curved edges. Therefore would you know of a method that doesn't involve a rectangle to prevent cutting off the inside border shape? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop has rounded corner controls for rectangles, so you can achieve that, if you are willing to create a synthetic mask (not using the frame from the real scan). This is much easier to control and edit if you create it as a vector mask instead of a pixel mask. Here are the steps for the demo below:

1. A solid color fill layer (Layer > New Fill Layer  > Solid Color) was added in front of the image, set to black, and then selected.

2. Select Rectangle tool, and in the options bar, set it to Path.

3. Drag to create a rectangle.

4. In the Properties panel, set the corner radius to whatever you need. You can enter a value, but I use the visual shortcut of “scrubbing” the value (position pointer over the option’s icon, then drag left or right) to adjust it.

5. Choose Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path. The selected path becomes a vector mask for the solid black fill layer.

6. In the options bar for the selected path, set Path Operations to Subtract Front Shape. This uses the vector mask path interior as a hole in the solid layer, instead of showing the path interior as solid.

7. If needed, adjust vector mask path at any time, including size, position, or corner radius. (Path must be selected in Paths panel.)

Photoshop mask from black edge vector mask.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines