• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render lighting effects not working opens up darker in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the newest Photohop CC 2020, I can't seem to use Render lighting effects. In my old photoshop, I used spot quite often, but now (in 2020) I open it it is just dark. It does open to the lighting menu, but nothing changes on any of the settings or sliders except ambiance which only lightens the whole image. 

I thought this last upgrade might fix the issue, but apparently not.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

The problem with tacking onto the end of an old thread is that things have moved on and the cause of your issue is likely to be different.

If you are using 22.4 or 22.4.1 then read on.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

@maraziwazi , did you try to disable the native canvas in Preferences/Technology preview, as stated in the 3D announcement?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to report it at the link below giving full details of your system, GPU, driver version and what you have done so far.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaaaaank Yoooou 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spent 3 hors with Adobe tech and they could not fix this, you did it in 30 seconds how is this possible. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip. This took care of it. Also appreciate the explanation as to why the change due to Apple removing Open GL functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this has been driving me nuts! Shared with the folks at Kelby, as they couldn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I have followed your advice and it worked for me until just now. When it clashed and showed double images, so I closed the file and restart again, nothing work. I can go into the lighting effects but i cannot see any of icons. I have restart the PS and clicked and unclicked the deactivate Native Canvas and nothing works. However, when I tried to add one spot lights and I have this mssg,

" the limit of your video card's drawing capabilities has been reaced for the #D scene. Shadows will be disabled in GL Preview but will not be affected for final renderings."

I would appreciate if you could pls help me to solve the mistery. My Photoshop's version is 22.4.2 

Looking forward to yor advice. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Imac running MAC OS Catalina 10.5.7 with the latest version of PS and have tried everything that was suggested and lighting effects still does not work ... why doesn't Photoshop make a patch so users don't have to go through all this anguish? This so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sri Gawn

I m on Imac running Big Slur version 11.4. This is a big slur, by paying so much and yet I cannot use some of the tools. 😛 Hopefully we can have our problem solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, many thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution for 22.4.2 users ? Deactivate Native Canvas didn't solve the problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After checking Deactivate Native Canvas, did you click OK then immediately close and restart Photoshop?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, Thank you Dave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did exactly what you suggested after uninstalling and  reinstalling for the umpteenth time PS 24.4.3. 

When I open the first image, I get this tiled look. Then, in Render Lighting Effects, no ability to modify the default lighting effect, i.e., no handles appear. Mac OS is 11.5.1.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.17.39 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.19.35 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a legend!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this information! This issue was driving me mad lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! did this and restarted photoshop (Mac) and this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac OS version are you on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already gave up hope ... Thank you 🙂 It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying everything. This worked! Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, my friend are a genius!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and it was resolved once I followed your steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not wokring in the apple universal version. The command is not grayed out but when you select it the preview shows a oval but without any handles or control points. When you try to change it , the oval goes away and you see a rectangle which you can't do anything with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines