• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace colors doesn't truly replace the selected color with the specified color?

New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating pixel art in photoshop and I am switching color palettes. I want to just easily replace every individual color in the whole image to a color from the new color palette. But when I replace the color, it doesn't change to the exact color I specified. It looks a bit more like an off-set variant of the color that I want it to be. How do I fix this? I sure hope I don't have to use the fill bucket everywhere because that would be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

For exact colour changes and pixel art, avoid the color replacement tool. That tool is not meant for that type of work, and will not work for exact pixel art colour palette control.

Instead, use the Magic Wand, turn off Contiguous and Anti-alias, set the tolerance to 0 (zero), and select the colour to replace. It will select all pixels with that colour. Then change the foreground colour to the colour you need, and hit ALT-DELETE (win) / OPTION-BACKSPACE (mac).

Ideally work in indexed mode as Semap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original colour, replacement colour you intend and actual colour you want to use in the document colour space (RGB, CMYK or Lab?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could work in Indexed Color, and then edit the Color Table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replacing one color with another is a process affected by Tool, Command, Blending Mode and other options. Please provide details regarding your current method, include all or part of the image you are working on and the changes you want to make. Anything less puts any advice in wild guess territory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For exact colour changes and pixel art, avoid the color replacement tool. That tool is not meant for that type of work, and will not work for exact pixel art colour palette control.

Instead, use the Magic Wand, turn off Contiguous and Anti-alias, set the tolerance to 0 (zero), and select the colour to replace. It will select all pixels with that colour. Then change the foreground colour to the colour you need, and hit ALT-DELETE (win) / OPTION-BACKSPACE (mac).

Ideally work in indexed mode as Semaphoric suggested, but unfortunately Photoshop doesn't allow working with layers in that mode. If indexed colour palette control is important, and you still wish to work in layers, consider the switch to a dedicated pixel art tool like Pro Motion NG or AseSprite, which do support layers and have a plethora of dedicated pixel art tools. It will save you a lot of time and hairs (i.e.: you won't have to pull them out while working on your pixel art ;-).

Or work on your art in Photoshop, and as a very last step switch to index colour mode before switching colour palette and exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a person that is not an expert yet has gone through Adobe Creative Cloud training, none of these answers are helpful. Color replacement should be as easy as the original Corel Paintshop Pro functions were. In that program, Color Replacement actually means "color replacement" on an image. I really wanted to stay with my Creative Cloud membership which I have paid a decent amount for over the last few years, but every time I try to do a basic function like a color change, finding the answers on the Adobe Community Sites does nothing to help provide a straight forward answer. Unless I can start finding answers to the functions I'm trying to do with having to jump through fiery hoops, I'm going to consider switching photo editing tools for my business. This is just FAR TOO MUCH WORK! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines