• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize a selection to specific pixel dimensions?

Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to resize a selection to a specific pixel dimensions that I can type in?

I know I can right-click and do a transform with a mouse but that requires an extremely steady hand to get precise results. 

See attached image: The selected region is 800x794 pixels.  The whole canvas size is 1200 x 2907, as you can see at the bottom of the image.  When I right-click on the selected region and select Transform, the tool settings at the top shows 600 x 1426  -- what do these numbers mean?!   If I want to resize the selected region to, say, 400x397 what's the most efficient way to do this?

I know I can copy the selection into a new file and image-size that and then paste the result back into my layer but I have a bunch of these to do so I'd like to resize it in-situ if there's a way to do it. 

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's selected, then you can enter the value you want to change its dimensions in the Transform section of the Properties panel (Window > Properties).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peternelson when transforming a selection the 600 x x 1426 y are the coordinates for your current selection size. If you look a little more to the left you will see the matrix showing what point of origin the value is coming from. Be default its the center of the selection:

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1696450888680.png

To the right of that is the w & h values that you can enter to resize your image. It will show % but you can enter px values:

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1696450966361.png

Here is how I would do this. Start with the selection tool active and no selection.

kevinstohlmeyer_2-1696451081327.png

In the options bar, you can change the Style to "Fixed Size" and then enter your values.

Now when you use the tool it will auto select a size of your choosing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right-click on the selected region and select Transform, the tool settings at the top shows 600 x 1426  -- what do these numbers mean?!

By @peternelson

The numbers mean what they say, and although that sounds like a bad answer, the point is to look more closely at what it says:

You said it shows 600 x 1426, but that's not all it shows. What it actually shows, if you look closer, is:

X: 600 Y: 1426

So, those are X and Y position coordinates.

X = horizontal position

Y = vertical position

If you change those numbers, you’ll reposition the selected pixels.

You want to resize. That is the next set of numbers, which in your screen shot show:
W: 100%

H: 100%

W = width

H = height

Of course, you don’t want percent, you want pixels. So follow the advice in Kevin’s reply, and type the number followed by “px” to tell Photoshop you want to set the size in pixels. If you want a field’s value to be in pixels all the time, right-click the W or H value and choose Pixels, or to set the unit of measure for almost all fields at once,  right-click the ruler and choose Pixels.

If you put together the advice in all of the replies so far, these are some general tips you can take away:

• Get in the habit of checking the options bar and Properties panel, because that’s where most settings can be changed for a tool or selection. 
  • Look at all the numbers, and pay attention to the labels next to the numbers. 
  • You can often get to more/hidden options for something by right-clicking it. 
  • If you don’t know what you’re looking at and the labels don’t help, hover the pointer over the option to see the tool tip for it. 

Photoshop-Transform-options-bar-W-tool-tip.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the object/selection is on it's own layer, make it a Smart Object

image.png

Double click the SO to edit in a new window and use Image Size to resize it, and Ctrl S to save back to main document window

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines