• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Revert back to previous selection tool functionality? (move selections)

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure which version this changed in as I've been dealing with it for a while, but thought I would finally break down and ask. 

When I draw a selection around part of an image, and then I want to move that marque, not the actual pixels, just my selection,  I'm not able to do it anymore?  I used to be able to just click within the selection and move it to another section.  

I would use this frequently for things like copying buttons, or areas of a picture I don't want to redraw my marquee every time.  

Also,  I have to DE-select now when I want to draw a different selection as opposed to just drawing a new one? 

Anyone know how to revert to previous functionality? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

It's up here in the options:

select.png

New selection, add to selection, subtract from selection, intersect with selection.

Only the first lets you move the selection by click-drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's up here in the options:

select.png

New selection, add to selection, subtract from selection, intersect with selection.

Only the first lets you move the selection by click-drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the tool options bar you want New selection enabled before making any selections.

select.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can even drag selections to another document, but not if you use the Move Tool. You have to use a selection tool, like the Lasso, for example.

Select > Reselect can also be useful, or temporarily saving your selection to a mask or channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines