• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate image, crop proportionally

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the crop tool, and rotate the image manually, the smallest rotation amount is .6", and when I use the crop tool, it crops the image proportionally. But I need to rotate to .3". If I hold control while rotating I can get smaller increments, but when crop is enancted, it leaves the four trianglular slivers in the corners of empty background; ie, it did not crop proportionally.

If I select arbitrary rotation and dial in the exact numerical value, I can control the rotation precisiely, but then have to use the crop tool to manually crop away the blank triangular slivers by holding cmd, opt, and shft, and eyeing it to eliminate the blue trinular slivers - and I don't see a way to enter the crop value numerically. Any thoughts or workarounds for a precise rotate and crop proportionally procedure? Thanks, David

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can try revert the crop tool to to classical mode on the control bar 

Capture d’écran 2024-03-05 à 11.13.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks Didier for the thought. Changing to classic didn't seem to get the desired results, unless I was missing something. In the end my workaround was - rotate to the precise degree necessary with the arbitrary image rotation tool; then use the crop tool holding cmd, opt, sft, to crop to inside the 'pixel empty triangles'; then in image size, change one of the dimensions (width or height) to the original dimension, thus keeping the original proportion and size (although with a slight decrease in the actual resolution). Would be easier if Adobe would program the crop tool work in precise degree increments, but a Adobe supervisor I spoke with said it's not currently available. David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two tips:

1. If the minimum value is too large, like 0.6, then automatic snapping may be enabled. You can override this as you drag by also holding down the Control key (not the Command key), which you see me do in the demo below when the ^ symbol appears. As long as you hold down the Control key, you override snap, and can rotate in 0.1 degree increments. This snap override applies to rotating, moving, and other transformations. (If you never want Snap on, choose View > Snap to deselect it.)

2. Regardless of whether Snap is enabled, the further away you drag from the rotation center, the more precise it is, because you have more rotation “leverage” (each degree of rotation has more pixel precision when the arc is larger). You see me do this in the later part of the demo below, where I am dragging close to the edge of the screen.

Photoshop Crop tool rotate precisely.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines