Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ruler guide not snapping into the center automatically

Participant ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using the most recent version of Photoshop on Windows 10.

In Photoshop, I have both ruler and snap checked.  When I select my guide, it won't snap into the center.

First, what is the difference between Snap and Snap To.

In order for the guide to automatically snap to the center, should I have been using the Snap To > Guide?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The snapping is rather subtle; you need to get quite near the center to work. You can tell it's there when the guide you're dragging out get darker, but again, it's subtle

I find it's a bit more sure to just use View > New Guide, with "50%" in the Position field. You can make an Action of this and assign a hot key to it for added convenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will give it a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found what Semaphoric said to be true, if I drag a guide too fast it might overshoot the center snap zone before it can snap, but if I drag slower I can see the displayed position value stop and hold near the center as it snaps.

@hcbphoto wrote:

what is the difference between Snap and Snap To.

View > Snap is a master toggle switch for all selected items on the View > Snap To submenu. For example, if only three of the options on View > Snap To are selected, View > Snap toggles those three on or off together. In other words, Snap To controls what get snapped, and Snap toggles what you set up in Snap To.

One thing that can affect snap to center is that if a lot of Snap To options are on and layers already exist, a guide might snap to layer edges that are close to the center, making it difficult to lock on the center itself.

@hcbphoto wrote:

In order for the guide to automatically snap to the center, should I have been using the Snap To > Guide?

No, that controls whether a layer you drag snaps to a guide. It doesn’t seem to affect dragging a guide, since it would mean snapping a guide to another guide which would put them on top of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reply and the explanation. I will try to move the guide a bit slower. Maybe that’ll work n🤞

Helen

[Personal info/email signature removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines