Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save Active Layer Name As File

Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, everyone.

Is there a way to save the active layer in a photoshop document as a .jpeg?

In other words, I would like to:

1. save the current(active) layer as a .jpeg

2. use the active layer name as the file name

3. assign the save path in the script (for example, "/g/MyFolder")

I have few scripts which are close to this but not quite.

Thank you in advance 🙂

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

I have composites built with individual pictures I want saved out as the layer name.  So a background will show up behind each layer of a kids photo.... Is there a way to save the shown layer as a file, or even to automate the process so that layer saves, turns off the layer, turns on the next layer, saves as that layer name, turns off the layer, turns on the next layer,.....  But the background won't change and other layers won't change either.  Does that make sense?

By @Jenny Rhea

Yes, hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

(It is insane that Adobe doesn't monitor this community to supply direct solutions to questions like this). @gangeek  you can use the built-in feature called "Image Assets" under the File > Generate menu in Photoshop. Here is more about the feature, including the ability to export files to specific directories: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

The user is asking how to save a file in Adobe software using the name of the currently active layer. There are two main methods mentioned:

1. **Using the "Export Layers to Files" option:**
- Hide all other layers except the active one.
- Go to File > Export > Export Layers to Files.
- Check the "Only visible" box and leave the prefix empty.
- This will save the active layer as a separate file with its name.

2. **Using a script:**
- Code snippets are provided in the thread that automate the process of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have composites built with individual pictures I want saved out as the layer name.  So a background will show up behind each layer of a kids photo.... Is there a way to save the shown layer as a file, or even to automate the process so that layer saves, turns off the layer, turns on the next layer, saves as that layer name, turns off the layer, turns on the next layer,.....  But the background won't change and other layers won't change either.  Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might make sense to post meaningful screenshots (including all pertinent Panels) to clarify. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Jenny Rhea

Yes, having static layer/s combined with variable layers is a common enough situation that there are existing scripts. Otherwise you would make use of the native Layer Comps feature.

https://github.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts/blob/master/Layer%20Saver%20Plus.jsx

https://github.com/Paul-Riggott/PS-Scripts/blob/master/Layer%20Saver.jsx

https://github.com/mechanicious/photoshopCompositionComposer/tree/master

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(It is insane that Adobe doesn't monitor this community to supply direct solutions to questions like this). @gangeek  you can use the built-in feature called "Image Assets" under the File > Generate menu in Photoshop. Here is more about the feature, including the ability to export files to specific directories: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user is asking how to save a file in Adobe software using the name of the currently active layer. There are two main methods mentioned:

1. **Using the "Export Layers to Files" option:**
- Hide all other layers except the active one.
- Go to File > Export > Export Layers to Files.
- Check the "Only visible" box and leave the prefix empty.
- This will save the active layer as a separate file with its name.

2. **Using a script:**
- Code snippets are provided in the thread that automate the process of getting the active layer name and saving the file with that name. This method requires some scripting knowledge.

Overall, the user is looking for a way to streamline their workflow by automatically using the layer name as the file name when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your answer It saved me so much time but I am having another issue.. 

I was wondering if there is any way to add my layer name to my file name and save it.

Like; my file name is OBJ and my layer name is redcarpet so when I export it the final jpg name would be OBJ_redcarpet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to modify whichever script you are using to either save with app.activeDocument.name tacked on or rename the file once saved to disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to modify whichever script you are using to either save with app.activeDocument.name tacked on or rename the file once saved to disk.

By @Lumigraphics

Adding a third option, one can also duplicate the active document with a new name, and save that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunsomesun 

Can you provide more info on the workflow or the code that you are currently using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers have already been given; I just wanted to point out that you can now drag a layer, say, directly to the Desktop (or any other folder in the File Explorer / macOS Finder) to simulate the Quick Export as PNG.

Davide Barranca - PS developer and author
www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With one caveat, this doesn't work if Legacy Export As is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines