• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save dialogue - auto-highlighting file extension

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save something from Photoshop, the 'save as' box used to highlight the name, but leave the file extension un-highlighted, like this...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.23.47.png

This was particulalry useful when saving out multiple images from one PSD as you could just tap the <right> arrow key and start typing, eg adding '01' to the file name as below...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.24.07.png

But now, Photoshop auto highlights the whole filename and extension, meaning you have to use your mouse to click into the filename (before the full stop) to type your filename additions...

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 12.23.38.png

It might seem like a small thing, but when saving multiple files from one PSD (ie. saving out JPEGs for an animation or storyboatd) it used to be really quick and now is not.

Can this be changed/fixed/addresed??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums are here for everyone. Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean that someone else won't benefit from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, please, just stop now and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene Reisch Did you reach Apple to post about the issue?

It seems to me that the affected areas are using the Apple default save mechanisms.

And I also understand that it was easier before to add a suffix on a file, while we now need to remove the extension first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, actually I've not yet done that - I assumed it was an Adobe / Photoshop issue.

I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, typically one would move if their advise isn't what the poster is looking for. Like me, he wants the fix, not a workaround. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, as I seem to have been misunderstood by someone (perhaps they have not read the OP prolery) and this thread has become muddied.

I'm not asking about adding file name extensions, nor am I looking for a 'workaround' - I'm trying to fix an issue that is causing me an inconvenience.

I'm concerned with the highlighting of the full filename AND extension when saving to web.

When saving a file, the filename ONLY used to be highlighted. That meant that with one tap of the <right-arrow>, the cursor was now at the end of your existing filename and before any file extension, '.jpg' for example.

The means that if saving out numerous images or versions from one file (for example, a web banner 'banner.psd' with mutiple copy versions) you could 'save for web' (banner.jpg), then tap the <right arrow> key and type 'a' (or, b, c, d... for example) and hit <return> quickly enabling you to quickly save out 'bannera.jpg, bannerb.jpg, bannerc.jpg' etc.

Now you have to either type in the full name again, or tap <right arrow> once to put the cursor at the end of the filename AND extension, then <left arrow> 4 times to bring the cursor back to the end of your existing filename.

It might not sound like a big issue for someone, but it's a time waster for me (if it were not an issue I would not be trying to find a fix)

If anyone is able to provide a possible solution (not just a 'workaround', thanks), then I'm all ears and will be grateful to hear it.

I hope that's clear, I hope I'm not the only one with this issue and I hope someone knows the answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Please excuse typos - I don't seem to be able to edit my posts)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, it is not when you save as, but when you SFW? Not sure if you are facing a native interface, then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corret

When I just 'save' the whole filename field isn't even focused/highlighted at all.

It's when you 'Save for Web' and it auto-highlights the filename

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it the case when you export as? SFW is legacy technology, I doubt it would be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... never noticed that SFW was 'Legacy'

The 'Export As...' is even worse then as it doesn't focus/highlight the textfield at all 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to create a feature request thread to have Export As highlight the text as you shown, then explain the left arrow trick to append numbers and how it impedes your workflow not to have that function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, one of the fixes of the newly released 23.1 https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html is targeted to filename issues on saving on a mac, I'd give it a try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines