• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save Error/Corrupted File

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved as document as .psd only to find it saved as a "file."  In doing so, I have lost the ability to open the document, and lost a ridiculous amount of work.  Nothing is saved in my recovery files, recent, or appdata.  The only possible explanation I have is that the file title included a period in it, but regardless the file was showing a .psd extention when open in Photoshop.

Has anyone every had this happen and/or do you know of any way to recover/convert the file? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Two good working rules for file management in Windows:

• set Windows to show file extensions.
  • never use periods in file names. In Windows, everything after the last period character is a file extension! But with no extensions showing, the next-to-last period can be interpreted as the last.

In other words, this has nothing to do with Photoshop. This is just Windows file management. Your file is easily fixed by giving it the correct .psd extension.

Replace all periods in file names with an und

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file is saved as flat file instead of layered, is that your problem? You have one layer in the document instead of many?

I am testing with this file name Beba close.up 2 copy.psd and everything works fine. Even this name works fine Beba close.up 2 copy.jpg.psd. File opens with layers. What is exactly your file name? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two good working rules for file management in Windows:

• set Windows to show file extensions.
  • never use periods in file names. In Windows, everything after the last period character is a file extension! But with no extensions showing, the next-to-last period can be interpreted as the last.

In other words, this has nothing to do with Photoshop. This is just Windows file management. Your file is easily fixed by giving it the correct .psd extension.

Replace all periods in file names with an under_score. That's always safe. And uncheck this:

extensions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You, Sir D Fosse, have just saved my life and taught me something I didn't know existed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @goodgriefexp sorry to hear this, have you updated to the latest Ps, 24.1.1?

As @D Fosse pointed out, make sure your settings are correct to help avoid this.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search your computer by size from Huge sizes to small. you may find some huge file missing the extesion,

one more point , saving files as a cloud document "sometimies" will SAVE  time & effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines