• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web (Legacy) not overwriting files

Enthusiast ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Save For Web (Legacy) function quite a bit for one of my job tasks- I've just noticed that when given the option to overwrite an existing file, it does not do it.

I noticed this by accident, as I do this quite a bit and ill accidentaly export the wrong image, i will fix it and just click yes to overwrite. When I look at the file in its folder though, it will not have changed. Unless I am missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

I've tested SFW several times now with PNGs and jpegs. It overwrites every time as long as it's the same file name, and you click "replace" in the dialog. It all works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software versions are you using? I get a dialog. I can either overwrite file or not.

When I use replace the file modified date changes  to the current date/time

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 version...

I get the same dialog box. I just noticed recently. I had to delete the file then save it again, Im not sure if its 100% of the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use save for web when I create Animated Gif files  so I have no experience  saving other files using Save for web. I have not seen any problems using Save for web saving animated Gif except that some saved from Video Timelines failed to animate.  Files saved fine but did not function as an animated gif. In which case I would save and MP4 the open the MP4 in Photoshop and save an animated from the video document.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested SFW several times now with PNGs and jpegs. It overwrites every time as long as it's the same file name, and you click "replace" in the dialog. It all works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're testing results on a website with your browser, be sure to clear your browser's cache memory.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes use the reload button make sure the browsers cache is not being used.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to replicate the problem and take screenshots, Ive discovered it is my Mac's preview that is not updating. the file is fine. Sorry guys! lol and THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have a similar issue when using Save for Web on a Mac to replace an existing image. If the file I'm trying to replace is selected in a Finder window, the SFW will look like it worked with no errors, but the image will not be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines