Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

For years I have been doing this Technique:

1- Shoot Raw

2- Keep the Original PSD Layers Files

3- Save a Flatten Tiff version for Print 300dpi

4- Reduce the Image size Proportionally,  Save for the Web, choose desired file size, and Check the box to Convert to sRGB, and Embed Color Profile "For Uploading the images to the Web".

In the old days save for the web you would get 72 dpi resolution, now you get 96 dpi resolution.

Many people now use the Export As Option. Is it better?

Please let me know

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Both Save for Web and Export strip out the PPI value. (although it's possible to retain it with SFW)

PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch, and is optional metadata that print drivers use to calculate the printed size of an image.

(Pixel dimensions divided by PPI = Printed dimensions in inches)

For screen viewing, PPI is irrelevant, and not required.

Images will display according to their pixel dimensions, whether the PPI is 72, 300, 1000, or missing altogether.

Some applications will assign a PPi va

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Save for Web and Export strip out the PPI value. (although it's possible to retain it with SFW)

PPI stands for Pixels Per Inch, and is optional metadata that print drivers use to calculate the printed size of an image.

(Pixel dimensions divided by PPI = Printed dimensions in inches)

For screen viewing, PPI is irrelevant, and not required.

Images will display according to their pixel dimensions, whether the PPI is 72, 300, 1000, or missing altogether.

Some applications will assign a PPi value when they open an image. Photoshop will assign 72, the Windows File Explorer will assign 96.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear per.

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it, One question, please. My color space is Adobe RGB (1998), sometimes I use ProPhoto RGB but I am happy with Adobe RGB(1998), and I work on RAW 16bit format. Inside Color Management Policies, I have it set to Preserve Embedded Profile, so each image is opened as is. If I receive an Untagged RGB Image, I usually Assign a Profile such as SRGB, and Offcoursce later I can convert it to Adobe RGB.

Regarding saving to the web, do you recommend Check the box to Convert to sRGB and Embed Color Profile?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check both.

The profile should always be embedded. No exception.

sRGB still has the highest probability of being correctly represented in the highest number of possible scenarios. So sRGB is still the de facto standard for web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear D Fosse.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@animationlife "If I receive an Untagged RGB Image, I usually Assign a Profile such as SRGB, and Offcoursce later I can convert it to Adobe RGB."

you CAN but there's very little point (unless you plan to significantly increase saturation (an activity which may well cause issues later with web and print) - converting sRGB to Adobe RGB is a bit like pouring a half pint into a pint glass, you still have half. a pint, it's just in a bigger glass now. 

"Regarding saving to the web, do you recommend Check the box to Convert to sRGB and Embed Color Profile?"

yes, as D Fosse wrote, best to check both

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines