• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SAVE TO JPEG

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love everything Photoshop. Nope... I loved everything Photoshop, until they came up with this new method of having to choose "Save a copy" to be able to save as a jpeg. And then always having to choose "save to computer." Really really annoying and time wasting. Why can't I just choose a default method of saving to be used every time and then if I don't on the odd occasion I can change? I have looked and pretty sure I can't do this. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked Enable Legacy "Save As" in Preferences?

https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-the-week/restoring-legacy-save-as-in-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KateTheGreat 

When Apple made changes to their API, Adobe was left to find a workaround.
As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

Details here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

To change the default location go to:

Preferences > File Handling and set the Default File Location to “On your computer”

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the petapixel piece explains it well, but even they missed one crucial fact:

"Adobe made a significant change to how the “Save As” command works. Rather than continuing to act as it has across applications on all computers for decades, Adobe altered the basic functionality and has left users baffled."

That is not correct. It only worked this way in Photoshop since CS5, when direct save to any format from the Save As dialog was introduced with much fanfare. Prior to CS5, the file had to fully comply with the file format specification before it was even possible to save at all.

Furthermore, no other application on the planet has ever been able to save directly to jpeg from a 16 bit/layered etc. file. Only Photoshop could ever do this. In all other software, you have to launch a separate Export process, saving out, yes, a copy. And of course, that's something Photoshop could always do.

Memories are short.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is simple! You don't like the newer behavior, set your preferences for the older behavior. 

LegacySaveAs.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KateTheGreat  – In addition to your Save As a Copy question which has already been answered, you also mentioned having to "save to computer" each time. There is also a preference for that in Photoshop 2022, under Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options > Default File Location. Change from the default of "Creative Cloud" to "On your computer". In earlier versions, one had to use a different method to turn off the cloud saving default. You can see this in the screenshot posted by thedigitaldog.

@KateTheGreat wrote:

Why can't I just choose a default method of saving to be used every time and then if I don't on the odd occasion I can change?

With a script, you can select a default method:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-as-jpeg-again/td-p/12650865#U126...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines