• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving to PNG Painfully SLOW

Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else experiencing very very slow times to save PNG with the latest Photoshop version?

I can save PNG using Apple Mac with the simple Preview app in a fraction of the time Adobe Lightroom takes. Is it just a bug in my version, or does everyone else experience this as well?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this is may be bug there are several bugs in latest update it is good to use 2020 for better experience....regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know when saving a png started taking so long its been a problem for a long time. I have removed some versions of Photoshop. Currently I have CS2, CS3, CS6, CC 2014, CC 2018, CC 2019, PS 2020, and PS 2021 installed.  I just tested one 8MP Image with these versions.  CS2, CS3, CS6 and CC 2014 took around 6 seconds to save the imags as a png file.  CC 2018, CC 2019, PS2020 and PS 2021 took around 30 seconds to save the same png file.  I could not test CC2015, CC 2015.5 and CC 2017 for I have removed them from my machine. I think CC 2014 was the fastest was actually under 7 seconds  where  other three  were over 7 but under 8. But then how good are my 80 year old reflexes on a stopwatch.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for a major app that I am spending over a hundred dollars a year to use this is utterly unacceptable. Who does their beta testing?   How do I get the eyes of the engineers on my issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Adobe feedback.photoshop.com  site report this bug. Adobe most likely knows about this and may not fix it for all we know. If unacceptable you can always cancel your plan pay the early termination fee and be done with Adobe.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The feedback link you posted just loops back to this forum. Adobe doesn't want to hear about bugs or fix them, why would they? They get paid every month now regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this to save png:

1. Open the File menu.
  2. Click Export > Quick Export as a PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that seems to be faster because it doesn't spend time creating a dilaogue box and preview. Good tip, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't Adobe make the Quick Export as a PNG the default behavior when
saving as a .png file?

*- Radha Fitch*
*M: 352-664-8911**rmdfitch@gmail.com *

Please confirm receipt of this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes saving pngs in Photoshop is really bad.

I have a really good computer and sometimes saving pngs takes 5 minutes +

Using 85% CPU and 40-70% RAM....

For example if i want to save 6000x4000px 300dpi png.

But anyway,

this problem existes since years. And they will not be able to change that...

You have to deal with it. For other people who sometimes have to wait for 15min+ saving times, they work on 2 computers haha 🙂 Save on one, and use the other one to work on another file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally equate png image files with web usage for images where transparency is needed in which case the png will be displayed by a web  browsers.  Therefore a 6000px by 40000px 300ppi png image does not make sense to me. Also saving png with no compression seems to be the fastest way to save png files. However, it depend on which version of Photoshop you are using how long the save will take.  On my Windows 10 machine saving a 6000px x 4000px 300ppi png take CS6 less the 5 seconds to save the png where photoshop 22.4.4 takes around 20 second to save the same png. CC 2014 the saver takes forever. CC 2018 also takes 19 seconds.  So I avoid using PNG files I only PNG file when I need a Flat image files the has transparently in the image. I do not create image for web usage. So it does not bother me how long it takes Photoshop to save png files.  I believe Adobe knows Photoshop has an issue saving png file it hard to miss how long it takes Photoshop to save a png file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some animation programs, like After Effects, Flash and Spine use PNG files, and sometimes those files need to be big. There are more uses for PNG with transparecy besides just display on a webpage. It's crazy that my very expensive and very modern mac, with tons of ram and speed, runs as slow as a 90's computer at times when I'm using photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how are you saving the png? save as? save for web? export as? quick export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Export as". Should I be using a different method?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 2022, the problem persists. Adobe, please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sept. 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one year later... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 month later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2024 issue still persists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly slow.
Bad coding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save it as anything that supports transparancy and use a real tool to convert.
Maybe even have a folder automation.

It's just silly how bad such an expensive piece of software is so bad at something so basic as saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even on a Mac Pro it’s slow to save PNGs ... Aslowbe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it is an issue with Windows version. Tried on my macbook, ouch! Took about the same time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Edit>Preferences>Export Tick Use Legacy "Export As" 

Then go to File  > Export As and choose PNG. It's a lot faster in this windows than it is in "Save for Web"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines