• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

scaling photoshop layer styles

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has plagued me ever since layer effects existed. Is there a way you can scale layers with effects on and have the effect scale with it!!! I've lost count the number of times I've scaled artwork in size to notice later that the drop shadow or keyline has shrunk. It would be so simple for Photoshop to have a preference that lets the effects be scaled with the layer. I cant see the benefit of not scaling the effect, I don't know anyone who does. If i can resize a entire document and scale the effects why not the layer. This problem has been kicking around for years and so far has not been addressed in any upgrade. The work around of making the layer a smart object effects the way it interacts with other layers if it is a glow or drop shadow or something that reacts with other layers so it doesn't work. anyone know if this is being sorted or if there is a way to sort this. I have a feeling this will go unanswered.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

No

At present we are stuck with workarounds such as those you describe and scaling separately using Layer - Layer Style - Scale Effects

It has been requested ,and discussed at length, but I don't know of any moves to add it. There are another couple of workarounds in the attached discussion.

Photoshop: Ability to scale layer styles when transforming a layer | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

At present we are stuck with workarounds such as those you describe and scaling separately using Layer - Layer Style - Scale Effects

It has been requested ,and discussed at length, but I don't know of any moves to add it. There are another couple of workarounds in the attached discussion.

Photoshop: Ability to scale layer styles when transforming a layer | Photoshop Family Customer Commu...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unbelievable! 14 years on and you still cant do it. nice one Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This so totally sucks that it's crazy. I face this all the time, and it's ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered another workaround that worked for my purposes. In my case I have a PSD with many different layers and effects. I wanted to resize the whole document and have the effects scale with it. Instead of resizing the document, I created a new blank document to the size I wanted and then placed the PSD as a linked object. The effects scaled perfectly in the resized document!

But total upvote to have this feature addressed in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a new problem for me. Just since Windows updated so I'm assuming it's more to do with them than PS. But thanks for the workaround of placing the PSD as a linked object. Works great!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines