• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting a Collection of Test Prints

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2010 Dec 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am relatively new to PS and having a problem finding what seems like a tool that should be included.

I would like to pint a collage of a single image with different brightness levels. A collection of test prints.

This is like printing a test strip in the dark room. I want to open an image and then have a script or action that will duplicate the image say 9 times and then it will adjust 4 of the duplicate images to be say 1/2 stop brighter and 4 that are in 1/2 stop steps lighter. Then I can print the collage on my printer and decide which one looks best or pick parts of the different images and then mask and adjust the original.

I have done this by hand in PS but it is a slow and difficult process. So a script or action would be ideal.

I would like to do the same thing for contrast, and for color.

Getting closure between the computer monitor and the printer is the end goal. It would also help in the creative process.

If I have missed a tutorial or a thread that covers this topic please point me in that direction.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting closure between the computer monitor and the printer is the end goal.

If your monitor and your printer are regularly calibrated and you follow basic Color Management/Soft Proofing guidelines your monitor display should be a viable basis for evaluating images, I guess.

What are you starting from anyway – RAW or processed images?

I would like to do the same thing for contrast, and for color.

What exactly are you talking about – ACR-settings or Adjustments?

And which version of Photoshop are you working with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Monitor is backlit and the printed version only has reflected light. this makes it difficult to get a good idea what the printed version will look like from the monitor. I have turned the light down on the monitor as much as possible to reduce effects of backlighting.

I am working with both raw and processed images using Photoshop CS5 currently.

Worked through this process by hand again today for both brightness and contrast on a B&W print. It takes a while to get the images so you can make objective comparisons. I see the path to make an Action script and will eventually do this as well.

I am talking about adjustments of brightness and contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am talking about adjustments of brightness and contrast.

In the question in my previous post by capitalizing »Adjustment« I meant to ask which Photoshop-Adjustment (Image > Adjustments) or Adjustment Layer (Layer > New Adjustment Layer) you intend to use.

Brightness/Contrast is not as bad as it used to be but I generally would avoid it nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are many adjustments that can be made both in ACR and in Photoshop.  Scripting ACR I think would be complex take a look at the Image Processor script that ships with Photoshop or one of Dr Brown's Image Processor type scripts.   Yes Displays are back lit and print reflect light images will never look exactly the same but if you do color management correctly they should be close and you should able to have a good idea if an image you processed will print well.  Yes sometimes you will need to make some adjustment to get the print you want.  IMO using an action or script to print some small test images on a sheet of photo quality paper is just going to wast paper, ink and time and not be that helpful because of the reduced size of detail. Test strips may be better but there will be important area these strips may miss.  If you have processed you image well they should print well. If there are area that don't print to your satisfaction a little adjustment or extra work on that image will normally do. IMO doing good color management and printing a full size print is the way to go.  Most of the time I don't print more then one print except when I mess up, the printer messes up or need more then one print.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your new to PS maybe Digital Imaging.  You first need to get a good education don't skip the basics you need to understand what is going on during processing.

Part of your basic education should help you get closure between the computer monitor and the printer a color manage work flow as noted in the previous append.  You need to know and use Color management, Calibrating, Soft Proofing, and set  Correct setting and use the proper profiles etc.  It is not that hard to create automated tools to do things like test strips and  image Variations.  You may not need to create you own I sure if you do a Web search or even search Adobe exchange you will find many actions and scripts that are free for downloading. 

Still start by getting yourself educated.  There are many good courses, books, tutorials training online. Use  forums like this to ask for advice. All is not intuitive you need acquire knowledge Photoshop has a huge learning curve very up hill to begin with but once you have a good grip on the basics thing start to fall into place and learning becomes easy and quick. Creativity, Imagination, Talent well there in you mind.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines