• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Security Settings for PDFs

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a few questions about the confusing  security settings for Saving As a pdf in Photoshop.
For a start I tick the box for password to 'Restrict Printing'. that is Just the printing, not opening the image. ( see attachment) and then I leave the 'Printing Allowed' field as 'None'.
So does this mean that there is no printing allowed even with the password? 
It appears not
When I open it in Photoshop, it asks for the password, to remove not only any restrictions, but to just open it, which was not what I selecetd. that was in the tick box above (see attachment). |
So I enter  password and I can print, (of course) 
When I open it in Acrobat Reader, the Print command is greyed out. Which is what I expected.
But there is no command in the menu where I or anyone I have sent the image to, can enter the password, to remove the Printing restrictions. So it appears to be a poiuntless field to ask me to enter  a password to lock the printing when there is no way to unlock the setting to whoever I give the password to.
So then, as an experiment (see attachment2) when I select 'Password required' for printing but  also select 'Printing Allowed' in the Security settings, because this would mean that Printing is allowed, if the viewer had the password, right?
Then opening the image in any Acrobat, it opens fine but it does not ask for a password to print.
I presume because I have selected to allow printing (yes) BUT pre-empted by a password, (of course.)

In summary, it appears the Security settings for printing only apply if a viewer opens it in their Photoshop.
But what is the use of that if they can just open it with any old generic Acrobat, and print off, unrestriced.
Can anyone make any sense out of this maze?
Kind Regards
Wayne

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd say that it's more of a deterrent than a foolproof restriction. Even if someone were not allowed to print from a PDF, they could easily take a screenshot.

To protect an image, you might want to try using Content Credentials

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/content-credentials.html

and/or applying a watermark. There are a few ways to add watermarks:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines